Wicked Good Conference / Frequently asked questions /

What are the greatest Boston bands?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

By Drew J idiotmanchild99@yahoo.com - Jun 30, 2003, 4:28 PM
Post #1 of 94

Though I am from the suburbs of Boston, I don't know many cool bands from the area. I have always been a big fan of Morphine, helmed by the late lamented Mark Sandman and recently the Dropkick Murphys have become perhaps my favorite punk band of all time. I also recently discovered Mission of Burma. There are obvious ones like Aerosmith and the Mighty Mighty Boss-Tones and the Cars. Phish, Skavoovie and the Epitones...somewhere I heard the Pixies were from the Boston area. What are some other cool Boston bands, particularly kick-ass punk bands?
thanks,
Drew J

Register or log in to reply

Re: What are the greatest Boston bands?
By Chris - Jun 30, 2003, 4:57 PM
Post #2 of 94 [In reply to]

The Damn Personals are getting some attention at the moment. The Dresden Dolls (this years Rumble winners) are also getting some buzz, hmmm....

More recent bands would include Helicopter Helicopter, Orbit, Orangutang, some Heretix not all are "kick-ass punk bands" but they're worth checking out. Then there are a ton of older bands like the Atlantics (good luck finding anything by them), La Peste, Real Kids, Human Sexual Response etc...

If you like Morphine check out Mark Sandmans earlier work with a band called Treat Her Right.

By Ron Newman - Jun 30, 2003, 5:10 PM
Post #3 of 94 [In reply to]

Phish are from Boston? I thought they were from Vermont.

By adamg - Jun 30, 2003, 5:10 PM
Post #4 of 94 [In reply to]

Aw man, you kids! Orpheus and the whole Bosstown Sound.

OK, it lasted like, what, 15 minutes? And, OK, I didn't hear about it until much later (even I was too young to have lived through it firsthand).

Oh, and, yeah, you did ask about "the greatest," not "the stupidest."

By Stallion rockyisgod@hotmail.com - Jun 30, 2003, 5:12 PM
Post #5 of 94 [In reply to]

In Reply To
The Damn Personals are getting some attention at the moment. The Dresden Dolls (this years Rumble winners) are also getting some buzz, hmmm....

More recent bands would include Helicopter Helicopter, Orbit, Orangutang, some Heretix not all are "kick-ass punk bands" but they're worth checking out. Then there are a ton of older bands like the Atlantics (good luck finding anything by them), La Peste, Real Kids, Human Sexual Response etc...

If you like Morphine check out Mark Sandmans earlier work with a band called Treat Her Right.

You can't forget Wesszer, is that how you spell it?

By Kingdafy - Jun 30, 2003, 5:12 PM
Post #6 of 94 [In reply to]

You've probably never heard of them, but I have a friend who plays guitar for The Punk Monkeys. They're pretty good.

By adamg - Jun 30, 2003, 5:16 PM
Post #7 of 94 [In reply to]

OK, more seriously, how about Bim Skala Bim? Mission of Burma?

More importantly, don't forget Human Sexual Response, with their immortal song Jackie O:

I want to be like Jackie Onassis
I want to wear dark sunglasses
I'll make Ari go down on his knees ...

By Ron Newman - Jun 30, 2003, 5:21 PM
Post #8 of 94 [In reply to]

Another classic lyric from Human Sexual Response.

By adamg - Jun 30, 2003, 5:26 PM
Post #9 of 94 [In reply to]

Oh, yeah! And, yes, I went to their concert when they played the cafeteria at my school - it was great.

Caveat on that link, though: It pushes a couple of popups at you, including one that asks you to install Gator. DON'T DO IT! No, really! Hey, take your finger away from that button! I mean it!

By Andrea - Jun 30, 2003, 5:54 PM
Post #10 of 94 [In reply to]

The Modern Lovers get my vote.

By Fred Sennott - Jun 30, 2003, 7:32 PM
Post #11 of 94 [In reply to]

In Reply To
Though I am from the suburbs of Boston, I don't know many cool bands from the area. I have always been a big fan of Morphine, helmed by the late lamented Mark Sandman and recently the Dropkick Murphys have become perhaps my favorite punk band of all time. I also recently discovered Mission of Burma. There are obvious ones like Aerosmith and the Mighty Mighty Boss-Tones and the Cars. Phish, Skavoovie and the Epitones...somewhere I heard the Pixies were from the Boston area. What are some other cool Boston bands, particularly kick-ass punk bands?there are the boston Philharmonic,The Boston Symphony Orchestra and The Boston Pop[s orchestra for a few.
thanks,
Drew J

Trust in God and sin not.Don't blame me I'm like Sparky I voted for Sarah to.

By Ron Newman - Jun 30, 2003, 10:02 PM
Post #12 of 94 [In reply to]

I have Safari's "Block Pop-Up Windows" option turned on by default.

When I turned it off and reloaded the page, I got a popup ad for weight loss, and another for "free screen saver", but nothing about Gator, whatever that is.

By adamg - Jun 30, 2003, 10:25 PM
Post #13 of 94 [In reply to]

In Reply To
I have Safari's "Block Pop-Up Windows" option turned on by default.

When I turned it off and reloaded the page, I got a popup ad for weight loss, and another for "free screen saver", but nothing about Gator, whatever that is.

Ah, well there you go. Gator is some Windows "scumware" that, when the popup loads, brings with it a standard Windows file-installer. Should you click "Yes," congratulations, your PC is now infested with software that can put its own banner ads over another site's, put lots of bogus hyperlinks on pages and even report your browsing habits to some mothership somewhere.

By CalGal - Jul 1, 2003, 1:08 AM
Post #14 of 94 [In reply to]

Boston Band recommendation from California.

My brother plays in a Boston band, Kenne Highland and the Vatican Sex Kittens. Their latest CD is No 5 on WMFO 91.5 playlist. Check Stanton Park Records website for shows. Listen on July 16 around 9:30 or 10:00 on WMFO, they will be playing live.

If you go to a show tell the band that Bonnie sent you and tell them I said hi.

By slim - Jul 1, 2003, 7:22 AM
Post #15 of 94 [In reply to]

How about 1980s indie bands like Big Dipper, Volcano Suns and The Neats? Weren't they all from Boston?

By Chris - Jul 1, 2003, 9:14 AM
Post #16 of 94 [In reply to]

I have the distinct pleasure of owning an Orpheus LP, and it is terrible.

By Chris - Jul 1, 2003, 9:16 AM
Post #17 of 94 [In reply to]

Ever heard the lyrics to Butt F**K, by HSR?

By Chris - Jul 1, 2003, 9:22 AM
Post #18 of 94 [In reply to]

Yep, all Boston bands. I saw Big Dipper when they opened for Neds Atomic Dustbin. Also saw the Volcano Suns but never saw the Neats.

By Chris - Jul 1, 2003, 9:29 AM
Post #19 of 94 [In reply to]

Weezer....I think they formed in California actully but I know that Rivers Cuomo is from Boston and the band stopped recording & touring while he went to Harvard.

He is one tiny little man..... I saw him at TT's when he was doing solo shows while attending Harvard. He was at the bar and I was ordering a beer next to him and he couldn't of been more than 5 ft tall.

By Neal - Jul 1, 2003, 9:58 AM
Post #20 of 94 [In reply to]

PIXIES! PIXIES! PIXIES! PIXIES!

My brother is friends with Dave Lovering, the drummer, they went to HS together. He used to hang at our house. Of course, I hardly remember him, I was in elementary school then.

I didn't even know this until after I became a fan.

By slim - Jul 1, 2003, 10:11 AM
Post #21 of 94 [In reply to]

I saw all three when I lived in NY. Big Dipper twice. Always enjoyed them and the Suns.

By Chris - Jul 1, 2003, 10:19 AM
Post #22 of 94 [In reply to]

Dave Lovering is a magician now, he opened for Frank Black on his last tour.

By Neal - Jul 1, 2003, 1:01 PM
Post #23 of 94 [In reply to]

His father owns a sign company, Lovering Signs.

By Beso - Jul 1, 2003, 1:14 PM
Post #24 of 94 [In reply to]

My two cents:

The Neighborhoods: Very underrated early 1980's Boston band. (Note to Chris...is Prettiest Girl on CD anywhere?).

Robin Lane and the Chartbusters: "When Things Go Wrong" was one of the first 5 videos ever played on MTV. Very good folk rock sound.

J. Geils: No mention of Boston bands is complete without their mention. Everything before Sanctuary is great stuff.

Honorable Mention: Mission of Burma, Human Sexual Response, The Black Jacks, The Modern Lovers (had members of Talking Head snd the Cars before they went to their repsective bands), Pastiche, 'Til Tuesday

By adamg - Jul 1, 2003, 1:57 PM
Post #25 of 94 [In reply to]

In Reply To

Robin Lane and the Chartbusters: "When Things Go Wrong" was one of the first 5 videos ever played on MTV. Very good folk rock sound.

Oh, cool! At somebody's suggestion (yours?), I headed straight for amazon to get the CD when it came out a couple months ago. After replaying the three or four songs on it I like over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, I think I may finally be getting ready for something else. Unfortunately, the CD did nothing to clear up the sort of muddled sound of the instruments on the LP, but I'm obviously not complaining too much.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All