Wicked Good Conference / Boston /

Porter Dead!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Re: Porter Dead!

By Sparky - Feb 14, 2005, 9:07 PM
Post #76 of 165 [In reply to]

In Reply To
Just give one specific example of where I've defended pedophiles or pedophilia or shut up.

You're doing it now by refusing to admit that you & Barney Frank opposed these laws.

How can ANYBODY defend voting against these bills?

If you want to now flip - flop I'd call it a Profile in Courage and I would welcome you to the Republican Party.

November 1978 ~ Democrats drinking the Kool-Aid ~ November 2008

"Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem"

"Don't Blame Me, I Voted For Sarah"

Register or log in to reply

By jhr61 - Feb 14, 2005, 9:11 PM
Post #77 of 165 [In reply to]

In Reply To
I honestly think that what I'm trying to point out is neither black nor white, and is therefore difficult for some to understand.

If I saw an actual crime taking place, yes, I would report it to the police. No, I would not be taking notes on daily activities.

I think that in the time where most of the crimes in the catholic clergy scandal were taking place, I think that it didn't occur to people that a preist would do such a thing. I don't think that most people today assume that their preist would, but I hope that it opens a dialogue between parents and children so that children can feel comfortable enough to talk to their parents, and that parents aren't too embarassed to do something about it.

You think children are just safer nowadays because their parents can have a dialogue with them that parents were uncapable of 20, 30, 40 years ago. Molesters have the same m.o. they had 40 years ago. Molesters count on the gray area!

By Jodie - Feb 14, 2005, 9:15 PM
Post #78 of 165 [In reply to]

You're right. Most adults can be around children all day long without abusing them. But there are people from all walks of life in every profession who abuse/sexually abuse children. I've read articles in my local paper about even an electrician who has done such a thing.

We know that sometimes people go into professions of power for less than altruistic reasons. Sometimes being in a position of power is a factor in people abusing that power.

"Homosexual" is a very loaded word. i will grant you that. I feel that in calling these crimes "homosexual," the word is being misused. It is a word with an evolving meaning (the very factor in what keeps language alive).

By adamg - Feb 14, 2005, 9:20 PM
Post #79 of 165 [In reply to]

In Reply To
Not all priests raped the little boys, only the homosexual ones did, gay marriage in the Catholic faith is a sin.

Right, the homosexual priests molested little boys. It was straight priests who molested little girls.

Buried under the avalanche of accusations that Catholic priests have abused hundreds of Massachusetts boys over a half-century are an untold number of cases of female victims whose lives were also ripped apart by molesters in the clergy.

http://faculty.uml.edu/sgallagher/womenallegeabuse.htm

http://faculty.uml.edu/sgallagher/spotlight.htm

So it's really a factor in these cases.

By Sparky - Feb 14, 2005, 9:25 PM
Post #80 of 165 [In reply to]

In Reply To
"Homosexual" is a very loaded word. i will grant you that. I feel that in calling these crimes "homosexual," the word is being misused. It is a word with an evolving meaning (the very factor in what keeps language alive).

There's nothing loaded about it, the VAST majority of these case were against teenage boys. As a professional you should know that's homosexuality & not pedophilia like most are being portrayed.

The word is being under-used in these cases.

By Jodie - Feb 14, 2005, 9:26 PM
Post #81 of 165 [In reply to]

No, I don't think children are safer. I think that statitics would show that children are less safe today than they were in 20, 30, 40 years ago.

What I'm suggesting is that parents should talk to their children, in a way that makes children feel safe in talking to them. Generally speaking, people who prey on children don't just all of a sudden one day rape them. They work very hard at gaining that child's trust, and then begin "grooming" them, or preparing them. Although, of course, I am not a parent, if I were, and my child told me that someone is giving them big hugs or backrubs or such, I wouldn't be letting them go back. But a kid is only going to tell that if they feel safe. It's not 100% foolproof, but it's a good start.

We live in a world where people do bad things. We do our best to minimize the chance that it will happen to us, but we can't prevent everything.

in your previous post, you mentioned that your neighbor lifts up little girls dresses. Why are parents letting those children go back?

By jhr61 - Feb 14, 2005, 9:32 PM
Post #82 of 165 [In reply to]

In Reply To
No, I don't think children are safer. I think that statitics would show that children are less safe today than they were in 20, 30, 40 years ago.

What I'm suggesting is that parents should talk to their children, in a way that makes children feel safe in talking to them. Generally speaking, people who prey on children don't just all of a sudden one day rape them. They work very hard at gaining that child's trust, and then begin "grooming" them, or preparing them. Although, of course, I am not a parent, if I were, and my child told me that someone is giving them big hugs or backrubs or such, I wouldn't be letting them go back. But a kid is only going to tell that if they feel safe. It's not 100% foolproof, but it's a good start.

We live in a world where people do bad things. We do our best to minimize the chance that it will happen to us, but we can't prevent everything.

in your previous post, you mentioned that your neighbor lifts up little girls dresses. Why are parents letting those children go back?

Well my friendly neighbor makes his rounds to all the yards in the neighborhood. Maybe nobody has told them what happenes (including me). Lots of kids out playing by themselves with no parents in sight. Perhaps he's grooming several in the neighborhood. I'll let you know what I observe. The winter has kinda cut down on his neighborly visits.

By jhr61 - Feb 14, 2005, 9:36 PM
Post #83 of 165 [In reply to]

The incident where he lifted the little neighbor girl up so that she sat on his shoulders and obviously her crotch was right up against his neck....was on their backporch. Outa sight, outa view from anyone but her and him. Then he proceeded to taunt the little girl and her brother with a banana he held out for them telling them to jump from the balcony. Is this normal behavior for a 50ish married man of three grown children who attends church every week and seems like the nicest neighbor you could ever imagine.

By Sparky - Feb 14, 2005, 10:08 PM
Post #84 of 165 [In reply to]

In Reply To
The incident where he lifted the little neighbor girl up so that she sat on his shoulders and obviously her crotch was right up against his neck....was on their backporch. Outa sight, outa view from anyone but her and him. Then he proceeded to taunt the little girl and her brother with a banana he held out for them telling them to jump from the balcony. Is this normal behavior for a 50ish married man of three grown children who attends church every week and seems like the nicest neighbor you could ever imagine.

Drop a dime!

By jhr61 - Feb 14, 2005, 10:12 PM
Post #85 of 165 [In reply to]

In Reply To

In Reply To

Drop a dime!

Thanks Sparks. Good advice.

By Guessed - Feb 14, 2005, 10:19 PM
Post #86 of 165 [In reply to]

Double up boyz! heeeeeeeeeeeeee your welcome!

By adamg - Feb 14, 2005, 10:21 PM
Post #87 of 165 [In reply to]

Why wait? Why not just shoot him now?

By Funny Lookin' - Feb 14, 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #88 of 165 [In reply to]

In Reply To
They have a right to be outraged that the silence and games that the Catholic church played led their children to become sex abuse victims.

Absolutely. The church heirarchy protected and enabled child abusers. Nobody's disagreeing with that.

In Reply To
If you knew of a known drug seller on your block, you wouldn't be taking down license plates numbers, jotting down dates and times so that perhaps in the future this could be used to bring down the local drug seller in your neighborhood.

Been there. Done that. I didn't start keeping notes in private, I started talking to my neighbors. We all started keeping an eye out and calling it in regularly "Hey, they're at it again." We worked with the community affairs detectives of the local PD, and kept after the problem. It went away.

In Reply To
My neighbor lifts little girls with dresses on up in the air so that their panties are right up against his neck and plays ball in the neighboring driveway with his crotch right up against their backs.....innocent loving grown male neighbor I'm sure. This raises my collective eyebrows.

Well then why the $#*)& are you sitting in the shadows taking notes, instead of talking to the kids' parents about what you've seen, and checking your observations against the other neighbors'.

Even if you haven't got any concrete evidence, it's a huge help to say "You know, something about the way John Smith down the street plays with your kids gives me the creeps. I wish you'd check it out for yourself sometime." That might save a kids life, or at the very least prevent traumatic abuse.

Nothing of interest here. Move along

By jhr61 - Feb 14, 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #89 of 165 [In reply to]

In Reply To
Why wait? Why not just shoot him now?

I'm not a murderer Adam. I did like Charles Bronson in Death Wish though.

By Funny Lookin' - Feb 14, 2005, 10:33 PM
Post #90 of 165 [In reply to]

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Drop a dime!

More importantly, tell the parents! fer cryin' out loud. "Joe acts creepy with little Suzie" isn't something the police can really do much about, but little Suzie's parents sure can, by checking out the situation for themselves and keeping little Suzie away from Joe's house if that's warranted.

Surely it didn't take until now for that to occur to you....

By eeka - Feb 14, 2005, 10:35 PM
Post #91 of 165 [In reply to]

Uh, because she has a hero complex and would rather stage her little sting operation and be solely responsible for "smoking out the pervert." And because if she lets a few kids get molested, then this makes it an even WORSE pervert by the time she smokes out the pervert, and then she'll be hailed as having smoked out a REALLY BAD pervert.

By eeka - Feb 14, 2005, 10:38 PM
Post #92 of 165 [In reply to]

Jhr likes medals. You don't get medals by being a good neighbor. You get medals by waiting until the pervert does something really awful and then getting the pervert arrested. There aren't medals if she just mentions to someone that someone in the neighborhood is creepy. Besides, if you're the crazy lady who takes notes on everyone, none of the neighbors listen when you tell them there's a pervert.

By Sparky - Feb 14, 2005, 10:42 PM
Post #93 of 165 [In reply to]

In Reply To
Uh, because she has a hero complex and would rather stage her little sting operation and be solely responsible for "smoking out the pervert." And because if she lets a few kids get molested, then this makes it an even WORSE pervert by the time she smokes out the pervert, and then she'll be hailed as having smoked out a REALLY BAD pervert.

Um Um Um, I thought in the "World According to Eeka" that the kids could just figure it all out?

By jhr61 - Feb 14, 2005, 10:48 PM
Post #94 of 165 [In reply to]

In Reply To

In Reply To

Um Um Um, I thought in the "World According to Eeka" that the kids could just figure it all out?

and look forward to clinicians telling them their acting in a victim like way. After all, they probably will grow up to be abusers themselves and help will be on the way. Wasn't I the one with the insecurities but now the doctors in the house are worried.

By ROYAL FLUSHER - Feb 14, 2005, 10:49 PM
Post #95 of 165 [In reply to]

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Drop a dime!

More importantly, tell the parents! fer cryin' out loud. "Joe acts creepy with little Suzie" isn't something the police can really do much about, but little Suzie's parents sure can, by checking out the situation for themselves and keeping little Suzie away from Joe's house if that's warranted.

Surely it didn't take until now for that to occur to you....

That would be good in a perfect world. Let me tell you what happened to my friend who had her neighbor arrested for sataniscally, ritually, raping and torturing her children. She had lived in the tight-knit neighborhood all her life, but had to put her house up for sale a week after the perpetrator's arrest. The other neighbors were hurling things at her house and making crank calls to her in the middle of the night, threatening her and her family. They just could not accept the fact that their other neighbor was a rapist. Some people just won't listen no matter what you tell them. I also told you about a pervert in my neighborhood that I reported to the police. The young girls were terrified that their parents would find out. I dropped hints to the parents, and indeed I came right out and told some of the parents the things that I had witnessed myself. Fell on deaf ears.

By Sparky - Feb 14, 2005, 10:50 PM
Post #96 of 165 [In reply to]

In Reply To
Well then why the $#*)& are you sitting in the shadows taking notes, instead of talking to the kids' parents about what you've seen, and checking your observations against the other neighbors'.

Even if you haven't got any concrete evidence, it's a huge help to say "You know, something about the way John Smith down the street plays with your kids gives me the creeps. I wish you'd check it out for yourself sometime." That might save a kids life, or at the very least prevent traumatic abuse.

Bad advice here JHR61, DO NOT make accusations to the parents or neighbors, go DIRECTLY to the POLICE, even if just by note. DO NOT do anything that can cause you to get sued by NAMBLA or the ACLU. AGAIN CALL THE POLICE. They can check his ID & do background checks and interview your neighbors according to established procedures.

DO CONTINUE TO COLLECT EVIDENCE!

By jhr61 - Feb 14, 2005, 10:55 PM
Post #97 of 165 [In reply to]

In Reply To

In Reply To

Bad advice here JHR61, DO NOT make accusations to the parents or neighbors, go DIRECTLY to the POLICE, even if just by note. DO NOT do anything that can cause you to get sued by NAMBLA or the ACLU. AGAIN CALL THE POLICE. They can check his ID & do background checks and interview your neighbors according to established procedures.

Now that is some excellent advice. I really don't care whether I get any medal or recognition at all. Thanks again.

By ROYAL FLUSHER - Feb 14, 2005, 10:58 PM
Post #98 of 165 [In reply to]

In Reply To

In Reply To

This is precisely what my friends discovered whose children were horrifically abused and what I discovered myself as well in regards to the pervert that that was perpetrating on the children in my neighborhood. The police advised me to keep notes. I didn't sit at my window, watching him day in and day out, 24/7, that is ridiculous. But if I noticed a child with the pervert when I was coming or going from my house, I took note.

By Funny Lookin' - Feb 14, 2005, 11:04 PM
Post #99 of 165 [In reply to]

In Reply To

Complete bullshit.

Certainly tell the police, but if all you've got to go on is a sense that he's creepy, and if he hasn't got any prior record, there's not much they can do.

On the other hand, these kids, their your neighbors' kids, right? And you do know your neighbors, don't you? I mean, of course, you've introduced yourself and spent enough time talking with them to have at least some minimal relationship, right? And you know your neighbors well enough to have a reasonable sense which ones you can share your concerns with and which you can't, right?

Or are you a freak?

I will say this, and I think I speak for almost any parent. If you lived in my neighborhood, and if you knew, or suspected, that a creep was hanging out with my kids, and if, God forbid, one of my kids became a victim, and if it came out that you had known or suspected, but that you hadn't come to me with your concerns within about fifteen seconds of noticing a problem, but instead that you had chosen to hover in the shadows taking notes, then I would do everything within my power to make you regret that unfortunate choice.

By jhr61 - Feb 14, 2005, 11:05 PM
Post #100 of 165 [In reply to]

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

This is precisely what my friends discovered whose children were horrifically abused and what I discovered myself as well in regards to the pervert that that was perpetrating on the children in my neighborhood. The police advised me to keep notes. I didn't sit at my window, watching him day in and day out, 24/7, that is ridiculous. But if I noticed a child with the pervert when I was coming or going from my house, I took note.

More good advice. Thanks RF. Sounds like you really have some true life experience to call on. For instance if I take notes on a particular day and later a victim recounted her memory back to the same particular day (holiday for example), my note taking would be most helpful, right.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All