Wicked Good Conference / Boston /

Loews Copley Place Cinemas closing Sunday 1/30

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Church for sale in JP

By Neal - Feb 7, 2005, 2:12 PM
Post #51 of 86 [In reply to]

I was walkign down Centre St in JP yesterday when I saw an ad in the window of a real estate agency for an old church for sale somewhere in JP. From the photos, the outside looked pretty ugly (blue vinyl siding!) but the inside looked pretty good, nice woodwork, etc... It looked large enough to fit at least three screens (two in the main sanctuary and one or two in other rooms) and have a few small screening rooms as well.... I wonder what it would take...

Register or log in to reply

Re: Church for sale in JP

By Ron Newman - Feb 7, 2005, 2:37 PM
Post #52 of 86 [In reply to]

I've long wondered why JP doesn't have any movie theatres -- and hasn't in at least 30 years. It seems like the kind of neighborhood that would enthusiastically support one.

By Neal - Feb 7, 2005, 2:47 PM
Post #53 of 86 [In reply to]

They did have the Underground Film Revolution, which took place monthly at the Milky Way until recently. I don't know if they have relocated or what, I can't seem to find any info on it -hence the underground part, I guess. A shame, because it was always well attended.

By Miki - Feb 7, 2005, 5:18 PM
Post #54 of 86 [In reply to]

That would be cool if JP had a movie theatre of its own. If I recall correctly, most, if not all of the Boston neighborhoods DID have movie theatres of their own at one point: Roslindale--the Rialto Theatre, Southie--the Broadway Theatre, and Charlestown, I think at one point even had a movie theatre in Hayes Square. Somerville used to have a movie theatre right in Ball Square, too, I think. Even though I'm not a JP resident, it would be cool if they made a movie theatre with a great, big wide screen that played repertory, art films, and old classics. Just my two cents.

Lost movie theatres

By Ron Newman - Feb 7, 2005, 5:28 PM
Post #55 of 86 [In reply to]

Adam, is the Rialto still standing empty in Roslindale? Where exactly was it?

Some time I've got to take a walk around Southie and see if the Broadway is still stitting empty. It was just a few blocks from a circled T station and would be an excellent location today.

Somerville used to have lots of movie theatres, though I bet many of them had already closed by the time Miki was born. Besides Ball Square, there were also theatres in Teele Square, at the corner of Highland Avenue and Central Street, on Winter Hill, on lower Broadway in East Somerville, and various other places. The Somerville Museum had an exhibit about this a year ago, and the associated web site is still up.

Where is 'Hayes Square' in Charlestown?

It's a shame that the movies have disappeared from all but a few lucky neighborhoods (Coolidge Corner, Davis Square, East Arlington, West Newton, Dedham Center).

Re: Lost movie theatres

By Ron Newman - Feb 7, 2005, 5:42 PM
Post #56 of 86 [In reply to]

Another one that was sorta near Adam - the Village Cinema on VFW Parkway in Hancock Village (oops, now it's 'The Village at Chestnut Hill'). Either that or the Park Cinema in Fields Corner was the final Boston neighborhood theatre to close, some time in the late 80s or early 90s.

By Miki - Feb 7, 2005, 6:00 PM
Post #57 of 86 [In reply to]

I remember those too, Ron. Also, some of the old movie theatres in Somerville, I think, existed well into the 1960's before closing down.
I, too remember the Park Cinema in Fields Corner, and the Neponset Drive-In. The Fresh Pond Drive-in, over in Cambridge was also a great place.

By Neal - Feb 7, 2005, 6:17 PM
Post #58 of 86 [In reply to]

In Reply To

There is a Hayes Sq in Medford, at the intersection of Salem and Spring Streets. There is a small commercial strip there with a liquor store and convenience store. That building was once a theatre. It is quite evident if one looks at the facade. I believe that there is a photo of it in one of the stores. I used to live across the street.

By Ron Newman - Feb 7, 2005, 6:17 PM
Post #59 of 86 [In reply to]

I think the Neponset Drive-In is now part of Pope John Paul II Park in Dorchester.

Where was the Fresh Pond Drive-In, and what is there now?

By Neal - Feb 7, 2005, 6:20 PM
Post #60 of 86 [In reply to]

Oh, and Ron, I added info on the Burlington Mall Cinema and Wilmington Theatre to Cinematreasures website..

By Miki - Feb 7, 2005, 6:52 PM
Post #61 of 86 [In reply to]

In Reply To
I think the Neponset Drive-In is now part of Pope John Paul II Park in Dorchester.

Where was the Fresh Pond Drive-In, and what is there now?

The Fresh Pond Drive-In used to be right on Alewife Brook pkwy, kind of near Rindge avenue. Right across from it was an eating place called "Donuts Please". Both of those landmarks are long since gone, and the great big Alewife MBTA Station, with a big parking garage now stands where "Donuts Please" used to be. The Fresh Pond Mall, I think has now taken over the area where the drive-in movie was. That was a neat drive-in. I still recall my parents taking my sister and I out to dinner at a good restaurant, and then, afterwards, going to the Fresh Pond Drive-In, equipped with blankets and pillows, so that my sister and I would be in the back seat of our old jalopy station wagon, watching the movie from the back seat and then falling asleep as need be. This was around the late 1950's-early 1960's.

By adamg - Feb 7, 2005, 7:33 PM
Post #62 of 86 [In reply to]

I get my hair cut at the Rialto Barber Shop, so if it's anywhere near where the theater was, then no, it's not standing (the block is in the middle of having a new medical/dental office built on it; what's cool is they've uncovered the original front of the old post office with its ROSLINDALE, MA 31 carved into the front). However, the old substation would make an awesome theater.

By Ron Newman - Feb 7, 2005, 7:39 PM
Post #63 of 86 [In reply to]

Thanks, Adam. Did you ever go to the Village Cinema, and do you know when it shut down?

I only went there once, to see Oliver Stone's Wall Street, so it must have closed some time after 1987.

By adamg - Feb 7, 2005, 7:47 PM
Post #64 of 86 [In reply to]

Alas, no on both counts. Back in '87, I was still a Brighton resident who thought West Roxbury was some godforsaken middle-of-nowhere place suitable only for passing through on the way to Medfield :-).

By Fred Sennott - Feb 7, 2005, 9:00 PM
Post #65 of 86 [In reply to]

The Drive In was across the road from where the Mall is.There was a compressed gas company where part of the Mall is the rest of it was part of the Clay Pits.
Trust in God and sin not.Don't blame me I'm like Sparky I voted for Sarah to.

By Miki - Feb 7, 2005, 9:59 PM
Post #66 of 86 [In reply to]

In Reply To
Adam, is the Rialto still standing empty in Roslindale? Where exactly was it?

Some time I've got to take a walk around Southie and see if the Broadway is still stitting empty. It was just a few blocks from a circled T station and would be an excellent location today.

Somerville used to have lots of movie theatres, though I bet many of them had already closed by the time Miki was born. Besides Ball Square, there were also theatres in Teele Square, at the corner of Highland Avenue and Central Street, on Winter Hill, on lower Broadway in East Somerville, and various other places. The Somerville Museum had an exhibit about this a year ago, and the associated web site is still up.

It's a shame that the movies have disappeared from all but a few lucky neighborhoods (Coolidge Corner, Davis Square, East Arlington, West Newton, Dedham Center).

Unfortunately, though, Ron, with the exception of the Coolidge Corner Theatre, most of the other above-mentioned theatres have had to become second-run movie theatres in order to survive--inotherwords, playing today's movies after they've been around for awhile.

By Ron Newman - Feb 7, 2005, 10:37 PM
Post #67 of 86 [In reply to]

Well, historically, most neighborhood movie theatres were 'second-run'. A movie would open exclusively downtown, in a fancy place like the Metropolitan or the Savoy, and then a few weeks or months later would make its way out to places like Somerville and Roslindale and Newton.

I like second-run theatres. Unfortunately they are an increasingly endangered species, squeezed between longer first-runs at chains like Loews, and early DVD releases.

By eeka - Feb 7, 2005, 10:41 PM
Post #68 of 86 [In reply to]

In Reply To
Well, historically, most neighborhood movie theatres were 'second-run'. A movie would open exclusively downtown, in a fancy place like the Metropolitan or the Savoy,

Not at the Gaiety?

By Mike in TX - Feb 8, 2005, 9:20 AM
Post #69 of 86 [In reply to]

Village Cinema was "my" theater growing up, though I couldn't have told you the name at the time; we just called it "the movie". We called the strip center Hancock Village, though I'm sure that wasn't the name (Don't recall what the real name was).

We lived across VFW pkwy and just a few streets down (near Corey St.), so was easy to run over for Saturday matinees, which were usually double features with cartoons or other shorts before and between. We went without parents when we were only 9 or 10; something that seems remarkable in this day and age. Remember paying a quarter to get in, then bring maybe another .15 - .25 for popcorn, candy and soda (errrr, tonic). This was in the mid to late '60s.

Also went to the VFW drive-in a bit, but not much. All I remember seeing there is McHale's Navy.

Gad, I'm starting to feel like an old man talking about movies for a quarter! Oh, did I mention the 10 ft. snow drifts we'd walk thru to get there?? Wink
Sigs are overrated.

By LaDivina - Feb 8, 2005, 9:51 AM
Post #70 of 86 [In reply to]

eeka and Molly (Jones), have you ever been to the Riverview Theater in Minneapolis? You'd love it! So would you, Ron. Uber-kitschy, and they use real butter on their popcorn!

Freedom of speech is wonderful - right up there with the freedom not to listen.

By Ron Newman - Feb 8, 2005, 10:06 AM
Post #71 of 86 [In reply to]

Oooh, that looks like fun. I've never been anywhere near Minnesota, but if I do go I'll check out that theatre.

Closer to home, has anyone been to the Strand Theatre in Clinton, MA? I haven't, but I'd like to check it out some time.

By eeka - Feb 8, 2005, 12:31 PM
Post #72 of 86 [In reply to]

YES!!!

Unusual movie theatres (that aren't lost yet)

By Ron Newman - Feb 9, 2005, 7:11 AM
Post #73 of 86 [In reply to]

Has anyone here been to either of these?

Stoughton Cinema Pub
Is A Classic Movie Theater That Serves Beer, Pizza & More

Chunky's Cinema Pub, Haverhill

Re: Unusual movie theatres (that aren't lost yet)
By Miki - Feb 9, 2005, 12:11 PM
Post #74 of 86 [In reply to]

My curiosity's been aroused--have to check those theatres out. Thanks for the info.

Re: Unusual movie theatres (that aren't lost yet)

By Ron Newman - Feb 10, 2005, 11:19 PM
Post #75 of 86 [In reply to]

And here's another that doesn't even advertise in the Globe. It shows second-run films for $2.50 at all times. Has anyone been to it?

Flagship Cinemas - Quincy Center

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All