Post #2 of 11 [In reply to]

In Reply To
does anyone know where/when ?

here/then

Register or log in to reply

Re: car auctions

By eeka - Jan 28, 2005, 9:54 AM
Post #3 of 11 [In reply to]

Don't have any experience personally, but are you looking for classic car auctions or really-good-deal-on-a-towed-and-abandoned-car auctions?

I'd start with google, but you know that. I have heard about there being classic car auctions in, I wanna say Topsfield? And every locale auctions the abandoned and seized vehicles periodically. Someone here's gotta know more about it though. Good luck!

By adamg - Jan 28, 2005, 11:32 AM
Post #4 of 11 [In reply to]

Dunno if it's open to the public, but I think there's a giant auction place in Framingham, right across from the women's prison (might be one of those dealers-only things, though).

By Fred Sennott - Jan 28, 2005, 9:45 PM
Post #5 of 11 [In reply to]

I don't know about that one ,but the Concord Auto Auction is only open to dealers.Occasionally both the state and federal government hold auctions of surplus vehicles that are open to the public.they also run some for vehicles abandoned and seized .these are advertised in the Globe and Herald.
Trust in God and sin not.Don't blame me I'm like Sparky I voted for Sarah to.

By Scott - Jan 29, 2005, 7:06 AM
Post #6 of 11 [In reply to]

I remember going to auctions on Albany Street years ago.
--------------------------------
Meeb shall return to us!!

By Diane - Jun 27, 2005, 3:07 PM
Post #7 of 11 [In reply to]

the federal government has auctions

http://wwwgsaautoauctions.gov

By Diane - Jun 27, 2005, 3:08 PM
Post #8 of 11 [In reply to]

sorry, its www.autoauctions.gsa.gov/

By andrew - Jun 27, 2005, 11:27 PM
Post #9 of 11 [In reply to]

dunno where you live but:

http://www.lynnwayautoauction.com/

By carlbigman - Dec 12, 2008, 4:40 AM
Post #10 of 11 [In reply to]

I attended a GSA government fleet-car auction many years ago and was quite amazed at what I saw there. It's where many dealers buy very nice and well-maintained cars that were used for maybe 2 or 3 years by such government agencies as the Dept. of the Interior, Dept. of Defense, Dept. of the Army or other services, etc. The day I went, the cars were mostly 2 or 3 year old unmarked Chevy Corsica Lt's (about 85 % of the cars that day), a few Dodge Pickups (one with a plow), and a few Chevy Cavalier Wagons. They ranged in mileage from 13,000 miles to 60,000 miles except for that one pickup truck that had the plow. The plow on it was like new and the body was as if it was always garaged and not rusty at all. Even that truck was in pristine condition and had all new blackwall tires on it. They all had brand new tires put on just before they were offered for sale and many had new batteries too, just before offering them for sale. These cars were not shit-boxes at all and looked cleaner under the hood than most cars on the road. None were leaking oil at all either, and if they had, they were repaired by the motor-pool with all new seals before being sold. I saw none at all with even a little grease or grime under the hood. Not even dust or dirt. They were all faithfully maintained by the government motor-pools and had their oil regularly changed and all cars were kept in tip-top condition, maybe excessively so. The GSA (General Services Administration of the federal government) runs these auctions frequently and are open to the public. I have just one caution though. They sold cars at auction from 2 separate lots, one in Waltham and one in Randolph. The good cars with no problems were sold from the Waltham lot off of Totten Pond Road somewhere (the auction I had attended about 15 years ago). The others were sold from the Randolph location which is where they sold all the salvage vehicles that had been wrecked or taken out of service due to mechanical problems and never repaired, probably as the end-of-service date was approaching too soon to bother fixing their miscellaneous mechanical problems. Make sure you go to the right lot for the premium quality cars and not the salvage ones! There was a GSA Auction Hotline telephone number available for both lots with announcements of upcoming sale dates. You may still be able to get that number by dialing 411 in the Boston area. I don't know for sure if they may have closed or relocated those lots by now, but I do know the GSA still sells cars regionally and they are wicked good deals. The typical cars that day went for about 2/3rds the price you would expect to pay retail on a car dealer's lot... some even less, but those were generally the ones with the highest mileage around 60 thousand miles. I'd say the bulk of maybe 300 some-odd cars that day had no more than 45,000 miles on them. All were exceptional..... Carl

P.S. I didn't buy one as I didn't have enough cash or a banker's financial promisory note to back me up that day.

By carlbigman - Dec 12, 2008, 4:51 AM
Post #11 of 11 [In reply to]

An update to my prior post: I just checked with the GSA website and found that the auctions are now done in North Dighton, Mass. as follows:

Manheim New England
123 Williams Street
North Dighton, MA 02764
Contact Phone: 1-508-823-6600