Wicked Good Conference / Boston /

Any Blizzard of '78 survivors out there?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Re: surpassing the amount from the great blizzard of 78

By Sparky - Jan 23, 2005, 11:02 AM
Post #26 of 52 [In reply to]

In Reply To
We don't know yet how much flooding will occur because the high tide is just now happening.

It's not going to be even close. In 1978 homes were damaged as far south as New Jersey. When I say hundreds of houses were destroyed, I mean as in gone. There were thousands of home that received varying degrees of damage beyond that.

If that were remotely possible in this storm they'd know that beforehand with improved forecasts.

Register or log in to reply

By Ron Newman - Jan 23, 2005, 11:13 AM
Post #27 of 52 [In reply to]

Rich: what town are Bert's and the Pilgrim Sands in? (Guessing: Plymouth?)

Re: Any Blizzard of '78 survivors out there?

By Jodie - Jan 23, 2005, 3:34 PM
Post #28 of 52 [In reply to]

Me! I was too young to remember any of it, though. But my dad used to tell a story about being sent to the grocery store right before to pick up a few things, and watching two women fighting over the last jar of mustard. Cause you know, you cannot survive a blizzard without mustard.

By eeka - Jan 23, 2005, 3:37 PM
Post #29 of 52 [In reply to]

Nope, I died in it.

By Fred Sennott - Jan 23, 2005, 8:50 PM
Post #30 of 52 [In reply to]

In 78 the 11 oclock news told people it was going to be the storm of the century.I called the Head interviewer in my office and she told me if I didn't show up and they called a snow day I wouldn't get paid.I showed up in the office a half hour early and alll; the other workers were ontime except her the office was in Woburn and she lived in Wilmington ,she showed up at 9:30 and went home 10 minutes later .I was next in charge and sent the clerk and two interviewers who lived in Wellesley and Natick home.At 10 Am they called from the Hurley Bldg and called a snow day and I sent another guy home leaving three of us in the office.At 12 noon the calledcand said shut down .We shoveled my car out and the other two who were much younger than me insisted I go and they would get each other out.It took me until 3:30 to get to Arlington.I was following a state plow on Rt 3 until he got stuck in front of the Winchester Country Club.I got around him and had to go through the Center because I was afraid to try going over the hill.I got stuck in my driveway and sent the boys out to dig the car out and park it.The two guys I left behind dug out one car and parked on ythe street and while they were digging out the other car the first got towed.but they made it home shortly after me the Guy who lived in Natick got home abouyt 11 AM.The other guy didn't get home until 7;45 PM in Wellesley.I worried about him he was driving a VW beetLe.
The big problem was Dukakis shut the State and ordered private businesses to close at noon and dumped all that traffic that normally tconverges on the major arteries over several hours all came at once.Clogging the even worse than normal.
After I got home it was great I got a free week of vacation.To my suprise My oold National Guard company(I had transferred to the Army Eeserve a year earlier) was assigned to Arlington.My kids were suprised when they were stopped and offered a ride home because the were Fred's kids.We needed some groceries and I called the armory and a jeep came to take us to the store and I wanted some other things and they were in town any way so they took us.We were lucky .The folks who lived in some areas weren't so lucky.When the regular army sent troops to help clear some of the roads I saw their Colonel get off the plane and recognized him from an operation I worked on In 77.So I got a hold of him and he was able to come to the house for dinner once while he was here.He needed that break,as he had been getting about three hours rest a day once they got here.
All in all not a bad experience.I had more fun that time.I got my orders early this morning don't go out for anything ,the paper will be delivered as soon as they can get one.So a;ll I've done is read the paper and watch others out the window.I've got twom sons in law and a grandson plowing the streets here in Arlington so we can get whatever we need.I hope everyone is warm and dry.
Trust in God and sin not.Don't blame me I'm like Sparky I voted for Sarah to.

By Fred Sennott - Jan 23, 2005, 8:53 PM
Post #31 of 52 [In reply to]

I forgot to add estelle went to Foodmaster on Saturday to pick up a few things.It was a literal Zoo they were fighting over parking spaces and blocking streets.I kneews better and stayed home.

By so - Jan 23, 2005, 11:18 PM
Post #32 of 52 [In reply to]

"I kneews better"

I'm sure you did

By onejennifr - Jan 24, 2005, 12:41 PM
Post #33 of 52 [In reply to]

I was 4 years old during the Blizzard of 1978 so while I survived, I don't remember it. I listen to my parents tell stories about it.

By Denise - Jan 24, 2005, 4:46 PM
Post #34 of 52 [In reply to]

couldn't log in today, power was out in Chelsea.

Blizzard of '78. I was just a couple of weeks shy of my 6th birthday. No school for, gosh, a week? My older brothers, my younger sister and I dug snow caves and tunnels all week long.

By Mr Love - Jan 24, 2005, 6:03 PM
Post #35 of 52 [In reply to]

Yup. We survived all right. No damage to our home and only intermittent power failures...go figure. Like so many of you we caught hell. I think that this was the most terrible weather that we had here in Quincy, My wife had the foresight to stock up on food and I vaugely remember my wife and I and our daughters sleeping on matresses in front of the fire place. Funny!.. I remember my neighbors coming over and critising the mail man for not getting through. But what the hell.....We survived!

By slim - Jan 25, 2005, 9:45 AM
Post #36 of 52 [In reply to]

Here in Buffalo, we had the Blizzard of '77. My father had to spend two nights in his office building in downtown Buffalo because he couldn't get home. We missed a week of school as well.

Looks like Boston is having a tougher winter than Buffalo so far. We only got a foot during this "storm." And we get the bad weather rap...

By prizm - Jan 25, 2005, 10:30 AM
Post #37 of 52 [In reply to]

I had just turned 6 a few days before the storm and have very vivid memories of a few events during and after that storm.

The one that sticks with me most is from early afternoon on Monday the 6th when my parents took me and my sister over to visit my grandparents in Wollaston to make sure they had enough wood for their stove in case the power went out. While we were down there my father decided to take me to Wollaston beach to check out the winds. I will never forget how frightened I was when we got out of the car and walked along the sidewalk facing the beach. It was probably the most scared I ever was at anytime during my childhood ... I seriously thought I was going to blow away and kept telling him to pick me up. And this was well before the height of the storm. In fact, I don't really remember it snowing much at all when I was there. The winds must have been gusting over 50mph at that time, but to a 6 year old it felt much worse.

I'll also never forget the trip we took to the Hull, Scituate and Marshfiled after the storm and seeing houses that had been picked up smashed apart like they were toys, the huge drifts that came over some of the windows of our house, no school for many days (I was in Kindergarten and they kept us home longer than the kids in grade 1-12), building snow forts, playing in the snow next to the driveway with my best friend and being able to look down at my fathers snowblower as he tried to clear the driveway (he still uses that same snowblower today!), getting stuck in a very deep snowdrift at the South Shore Country Club and my father having to pull me out of it, and my poor 4 year old sister not being allowed to go outside because the snow was too deep.

By SchmidtyGirl - Aug 5, 2006, 11:37 PM
Post #38 of 52 [In reply to]

My son is taking my "I survived the blizzard of '78" t-shirt to camp celebrating his favorite era. I can't believe I hung on to it for this many years. I remember it well. A local shop caught fire in my small town and the whole town walked down to watch it burn as firefighters couldn't make it there. I also remember our cars buried, a friend getting stranded at our house and our toilet went out. EEEEEWWWWW!!!! If we had to go #1, it was in a bucket and #2 we bundled up and went next door. I can't believe I just posted that! LOL!

By mapl - Aug 6, 2006, 12:25 AM
Post #39 of 52 [In reply to]

I remember what happened shortly before the blizzard of '78 arrived. The forecast had started out with no more than an ordinary winter storm here in New England. However, as the snow started coming down, the forecasts became progressively more dire and ominous, and it was then that we all realized that this was not going to be your average New England nor'easter. After it had stopped snowing, classes were suspended for that week, but, since I was living downtown, I went into the studio to work every single day. I also had my share of good fun. Since the State of Massachusetts had been declared a State of Emergency by then-governor Michael Dukakis, nobody was driving around except emergency vehicles. It seemed that EVERYBODY was out in the street doing something--walking, cross-country skiing, you name it. People were friendly--eager to help and to talk. I even met up with a couple of friends of mine who were not from school, but they, too were out walking around. It looked like one big festival in the Back Bay, with the tremendous amounts of snow on the ground, and everybody out and about.

By Fred Sennott - Aug 6, 2006, 7:58 PM
Post #40 of 52 [In reply to]

Just curious.How come you resurrected this in August?

By Sparky - Aug 6, 2006, 8:33 PM
Post #41 of 52 [In reply to]

I'm thinking she was having a "Junior Barnes" snowball moment, hey hey hey!

By Fred Sennott - Aug 6, 2006, 8:37 PM
Post #42 of 52 [In reply to]

Could bLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

By mapl - Aug 6, 2006, 10:10 PM
Post #43 of 52 [In reply to]

In Reply To
Just curious.How come you resurrected this in August?

//Are you asking me, Fred? Because I wasn't the one who resurrected the thread about the Blizzard of '78 in August. I just replied to Schmidtygirl's post.

By Fred Sennott - Aug 7, 2006, 8:20 PM
Post #44 of 52 [In reply to]

Sorry,I goofed.

By SchmidtyGirl - Aug 7, 2006, 9:42 PM
Post #45 of 52 [In reply to]

B/C I just dug my T out for my son to take to camp. I thought I would do a search on the blizzard and found this site. Plus it's been hotter than you know what lately! LOL!

By Fred Sennott - Aug 7, 2006, 9:49 PM
Post #46 of 52 [In reply to]

Welcome.I was just curious as to why some one brought this up at this time.It looks like we are in for some delightful weather over the next week or so.

By Theaterdistict23 - Dec 15, 2006, 8:32 AM
Post #47 of 52 [In reply to]

I was just online looking up any info on the famous storm that hit our region so many years ago. It's funny, because I have one of those "retro" Old Navy tee's that has 1978 listed and I know, if I dug long enough in my mother's attic, I'd find my Blizzard of '78 tee.

I was 11 at the time and we got dumped pretty bad in Reading. I clearly remember standing on the top of my father's 1976 Pontiac and while my mother yelled for me to get down before I went though the roof. We played a lot of board games back then with the kid's next door, even wondering when school would ever get back to opening back up. These days, high speed internet connections keep everyone in contact and it's just not the same. Not that I mind, but you were more or less forced to get along with each other (unless you wanted to go out and shovel!).

By billymac216 - Jan 15, 2008, 10:03 PM
Post #48 of 52 [In reply to]

05' doesn't come close to 78'. I was 10 years old living on Shipyard Ln in Duxbury, Ma when it hit. At the storms peak, the bay was at our back door, we had 80 mph wind gusts, snow drifts up to the 2nd floor, myself, my younger brothers & sister were all huddled in the same room scared out of our minds when one of those gusts shook the house. We had already heard by word of mouth homes of people we knew were succumbing to the winds & the waves. During some of the heaviest snowfall I was out helping my dad cut up trees felled by the storm for firewood, in an effort to keep at least the living room warm. Power was out & wouldn't be back for another 8 days. When it was over the only way to get around the coastal streets was by boat. We went down to the general store at Snug Harbor, instead of pulling into the parking space, we rowed in.
I was back in Duxbury visiting my Mother in January 05', we sat by the fire drinking wine during this storm, lights aglow reminicing about 78', no comparison.

By sonia2 - Jan 15, 2008, 10:26 PM
Post #49 of 52 [In reply to]

yes

By kwangung121 - Nov 17, 2008, 4:31 PM
Post #50 of 52 [In reply to]

I just turned 18 (legal drinking age back then) a month before the blizzard. During the storm the only stores that were open were liquor stores, supermarkets, and drug stores. I lived around the corner from Kappys liquor. We had a major problem trying to keep the beers from freezing. I also remember walking the streets at 2:00 AM needing to wear sun glasses because the reflection of the full moon made everything so bright. My neighbor had a snowmobile with an attached sled and would give everyone rides to the supermarket. 78 was definitely a great party year. My dad was puzzled as to where all the beer bottles were coming from during the spring thaw.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All