Wicked Good Conference / Frequently asked questions /

moving to boston

By holly smig80@comcast.net - Dec 28, 2003, 10:27 PM
Post #1 of 15

I am considering moving to boston to get away from the south, and to finish school. I am looking for a city that has a lot to offer, and Boston seems right up my alley. Have heard that it is like NYC in that you could live in Boston and get around fine with out a vehicle. Is this true, and if so, what would be the best areas to find an apartment? Will be up to visit in a few months to check it out...all suggestions will be welcomed!

Register or log in to reply

Re: moving to boston

By Ron Newman - Dec 29, 2003, 2:17 PM
Post #2 of 15 [In reply to]

Depends where you live and what school you are going to. Which schools are you looking at?

By holly - Dec 29, 2003, 4:50 PM
Post #3 of 15 [In reply to]

In Reply To
Depends where you live and what school you are going to. Which schools are you looking at?

i am mostly looking at boston university...still about a year away, just want some ideas

By Ron Newman - Dec 29, 2003, 5:03 PM
Post #4 of 15 [In reply to]

If you are going to BU, you don't need a car, and in fact shouldn't have one. Neighborhoods to look at: Allston, north Brookline, Kenmore Square, Fenway, Cambridgeport.

By Sparky - Dec 29, 2003, 10:44 PM
Post #5 of 15 [In reply to]

In Reply To
If you are going to BU, you don't need a car, and in fact shouldn't have one. Neighborhoods to look at: Allston, north Brookline, Kenmore Square, Fenway, Cambridgeport.

What do you mean "should'nt have one"? Does one need permission now to own a car?

By Ron Newman - Dec 29, 2003, 11:28 PM
Post #6 of 15 [In reply to]

Parking in any of those neighborhoods (except maybe Cambridgeport) will be expensive, painful, or both.

By eeka - Dec 30, 2003, 8:45 AM
Post #7 of 15 [In reply to]

In Reply To

In Reply To

What do you mean "should'nt have one"? Does one need permission now to own a car?

Maybe wasn't the best wording, but he's right that it would be a lot more hassle than it's worth, unless someone has significant mobility issues or hauls around a ton of stuff. This area has some of the best circled T service and is densely packed with everything you'd need in the way of stores and such, but has terrible parking. I'm quite a ways further out from the center of town (Cleveland Circle) and therefore don't have as great of circled T service, but even I find that for most places in the city, it's a lot more convenient to walk or take the circled T. I currently have a car, but even where I am where parking and traffic aren't bad, it's usually not worth taking the car just to go to the store or whatever. I use the car basically for going out of the city or if I have a large package (cue Vikram, Frankie, Adam...).

By Frankie - Dec 30, 2003, 9:21 AM
Post #8 of 15 [In reply to]

In Reply To
or if I have a large package (cue Vikram, Frankie, Adam...).

OK - I'll bite. Just how large is your .....

eeka's giant package

By eeka - Dec 30, 2003, 10:03 AM
Post #9 of 15 [In reply to]

In Reply To

In Reply To
or if I have a large package (cue Vikram, Frankie, Adam...).

OK - I'll bite. Just how large is your .....

Well, the other day, I got a 40-POUND package from my Mom. Not only that, but she had overnighted it. It was like $85.50 or something. Which she did end up getting refunded, because they messed up and sent it two-day, since I'm guessing the postal people just overlooked it and assumed it wasn't Express Mail, since who TF would overnight a 40-pound package? But I digress.

So yeah, I walked to the post office with my package slip, and I got there and the thing's freakin' 40 lbs. So I had to come back with the car. And of course the postal people had no clue how to un-hand-out a package once they'd handed it out, so it took them quite some time to figure out how to take the package back while I went to get my car. They couldn't just unofficially leave it sitting there, of course.

Oh, and then there's also the issue of that I'm not supposed to lift anything over 5 pounds while standing, because I have a spinal cord injury. My mom's answer was "I figured they'd deliver it to your door." (She lives in the middle of nowhere.) I did lift the damn thing to and from the car and nothing happened, but the annoying thing is that the package contained books and yoga stuff and DVDs, almost all ordered from amazon.com, which my mom had had shipped to her and then had shipped (OVERNIGHTED!) to me in a giant box. Rather than gift-shipping them and having amazon send them to me in small mailers that the post office could leave by my mailbox. Her reasoning is that if she did that, she wouldn't be certain they'd sent the right stuff, she couldn't properly giftwrap the stuff, and there wouldn't be any homemade cookies in the package. So yeah, I was very happy to receive this package, but I really don't get why it's necessary to spend extra money and time and inconvenience me in order to send these things!

Is my mom ever going to progress past 1950 or so?

Re: eeka's giant package
By Frankie - Dec 30, 2003, 10:33 AM
Post #10 of 15 [In reply to]

Soooo ...... there's also home made cookies to take a bite of?

By eeka - Dec 30, 2003, 12:33 PM
Post #11 of 15 [In reply to]

In Reply To

I took those to work ;o)

By Frankie - Dec 30, 2003, 1:28 PM
Post #12 of 15 [In reply to]

In Reply To

In Reply To

I took those to work ;o)

Jeez Louise, you shared them with your cow orkers? I would have been soooooo much more appreciative. (I think.)

By eeka - Dec 30, 2003, 2:28 PM
Post #13 of 15 [In reply to]

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I took those to work ;o)

Jeez Louise, you shared them with your cow orkers? I would have been soooooo much more appreciative. (I think.)

My cow orkers ROCK!

It's the (orange) administrators that do not.

By carlbigman - Dec 12, 2008, 5:08 AM
Post #14 of 15 [In reply to]

Move to any area around the northwestern corner of the city's suburbs (Cambridge, Malden, Sommerville, etc.) where it is more affluent and nicer in general (safer area to live in) and get a Charlie-card to ride the subway trains all month long for one flat fee. Then get out and explore the city often. Be aware that the rapid transit system called "The T" stops running earlier than the bars close, unlike the New York transit system that pretty much runs all night. The reason being is that the subways in Boston were built with only one set of tracks running on each subway line. New York has 2 sets side by side (alternate tracks on the same routes) so as to facilitate more time to do track repairs and maintenence without closing down the runs. Boston has only about a 4 to 5 hour window of opportunity to repair tracks and get them going again for the morning rush and must shut them down shortly after midnight to do so (before last call at the bars). Just be aware of that or call a cab when you get pie-eyed at some Boston bar. LOL

By adamg - Dec 12, 2008, 1:22 PM
Post #15 of 15 [In reply to]

You seem to be scared of Boston. More room for the rest of us.