Wicked Good Conference / Frequently asked questions /

move from phoenix to NY or Boston?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

By marce mstaley16@msn.com - Oct 25, 2003, 2:32 AM
Post #1 of 83

I am currently looking into relocating to either NYC or Boston. My job is guaranteed successful at either location - this is not my issue. Not concerned with weather, have had it up to "here" with the intense, ridiculous heat. I am considering cost of living, culture, 30-something single life, and transportation without car among other things. I love to stroll around unique, bustling, somewhat trendy neighborhoods and browse, stop for coffee, be active outdoors, visit loungey-type bars or restaurants. Boston seems full of this type of atmosphere...do the positives outweigh the negatives compared to NYC?

Thanks for the advice -

Register or log in to reply

Re: move from phoenix to NY or Boston?
By so - Oct 25, 2003, 8:25 AM
Post #2 of 83 [In reply to]

In Reply To
and transportation without car among other things.

I think more Bostonians have cars than New Yorkers.
Even people who take the T to work, still use cars for shopping, getting around on weekends. Boston closes early too. Boston is fun, but if your decision is partially based on if you'll need a car or not, I'd pick NY...you can get around here without one, but it can be a pain sometimes.

By AmeriKenArtist - Oct 25, 2003, 11:11 AM
Post #3 of 83 [In reply to]

NYC has THE most intricate subway system. I know many people who live in Manhattan and they rent a car to visit friends and family in other states. When we visit the Manhattanites we are car(e)-free.

By Guest - Oct 25, 2003, 11:37 AM
Post #4 of 83 [In reply to]

How is the parking situation, generally? I know it will depend on the neighborhood, I am leaning toward the South End area so far.

By adamg - Oct 25, 2003, 12:32 PM
Post #5 of 83 [In reply to]

Oh, parking in the South End will be no problem - if you're willing to pay $200 or so a month for a space. Otherwise, it will be a problem - street parking is pretty limited.

By adamg - Oct 25, 2003, 12:38 PM
Post #6 of 83 [In reply to]

What you might want to do, if you can, is spend a few days in both New York and Boston and see which you like more.

Boston has pretty much everything New York does - just in far smaller numbers. One of the amazing things about New York is how you will NEVER run out of, say, new Indian restaurants or cafes to try. Then again, Boston is not as overwhelming as New York can be. Also, New York is much more of a late-night city - bars in Boston close at 2 (although if you really need a drink, you can go down to Chinatown and get an "iced tea" at one of the late-night restaurants there); the subways shut down at 12:45 (although there is bus service until 2 on Friday and Saturday nights).

If you're thinking about the South End or other downtownish neighborhoods or parts of Cambridge (say, Porter or Harvard squares), you can get by without a car - and rent a Zip car when you need to go pick up that new couch. But as Ken says, it's generally easier to live in New York without a car than here (as a native New Yorker, I didn't even get a license until about a month before I turned 22 - when I realized I'd need one for work up here).

Cost of living? If you're talking Manhattan, for the most part Boston will be less expensive than New York - although probably still a lot more expensive than what you're used to.

By eeka - Oct 25, 2003, 1:06 PM
Post #7 of 83 [In reply to]

In Reply To
What you might want to do, if you can, is spend a few days in both New York and Boston and see which you like more.

Boston has pretty much everything New York does - just in far smaller numbers. One of the amazing things about New York is how you will NEVER run out of, say, new Indian restaurants or cafes to try. Then again, Boston is not as overwhelming as New York can be. Also, New York is much more of a late-night city - bars in Boston close at 2 (although if you really need a drink, you can go down to Chinatown and get an "iced tea" at one of the late-night restaurants there); the subways shut down at 12:45 (although there is bus service until 2 on Friday and Saturday nights).

If you're thinking about the South End or other downtownish neighborhoods or parts of Cambridge (say, Porter or Harvard squares), you can get by without a car - and rent a Zip car when you need to go pick up that new couch. But as Ken says, it's generally easier to live in New York without a car than here (as a native New Yorker, I didn't even get a license until about a month before I turned 22 - when I realized I'd need one for work up here).

Cost of living? If you're talking Manhattan, for the most part Boston will be less expensive than New York - although probably still a lot more expensive than what you're used to.

Adam, it's "cold tea" that'll get you beer served in a tea set. Iced tea will get you, well, iced tea.

By adamg - Oct 25, 2003, 4:54 PM
Post #8 of 83 [In reply to]

Oh, I'm soooo out of it! Thanks.

First I think Jimmy Kelly's still city-council president, now this. Can you be a dear and help me out of my chair? My sciatica's acting up again ...

By AmeriKenArtist - Oct 25, 2003, 11:33 PM
Post #9 of 83 [In reply to]

OMG Are we gonna have to wheel you around the T, the next time we go on a photo shoot!? eeka can go first....

By Guest - Oct 26, 2003, 1:43 AM
Post #10 of 83 [In reply to]

Thanks - great advice. I have been to New York several times and absolutely love it, but the whole cost of living thing really scares me there. Everywhere is more expensive than here, but atmosphere around here is not my style. I know that more expenses are the price to pay living in a city. I am planning on visiting Boston probably in Nov/Dec. I guess I'm just hoping that Boston will have the same things to offer that I really enjoy about NYC as far as overall atmosphere and bustle in some parts, but I can actually have a closet in my home that doesn't also double as my bathroom.

By Guest - Oct 26, 2003, 1:45 AM
Post #11 of 83 [In reply to]

How much are the various public transportation options? Also cabs typically for a ride-home-from-the-bar type of distance? And what about getting to and from the airport?

By adamg - Oct 26, 2003, 8:37 AM
Post #12 of 83 [In reply to]

The main public-transit thing around here is the subway, a.k.a. the T (all the stops have big black Ts in circle outside them). It's very good for getting to and from downtown Boston and parts nearby (for example, Cambridge). For outer suburbs, we have commuter rail (also run by the T) - actually, even some of the outer city neighborhoods have commuter-rail access (like where I live in Roslindale, to get downtown, I could take a bus to the subway, or just get on a commuter train). Boston also has a pretty extensive bus system.

http://www.mbta.com/traveling_t/schedules_subway.asp for a map.

If you plan to use the T a lot, you can get a monthly passcard that gives you unlimited rides (and if you do decide to get a car, 11 of the passes will get you a small discount on your insurance).

One thing that does make Boston better than New York (well, Manhattan, at any rate) is the airport's a lot more convenient - you can even do it by public transportation, if you don't have too much luggage, just take the Blue Line to Airport, then get on one of the free airport shuttle buses (well, technically, you can get to JFK and LaGuardia by public transportation, too, but, ugh). In fact, the airport's close enough that a cab is not too out of the question, unless you live in some of the boonie neighborhoods, like, say, Roslindale. Just beware that leaving Logan by cab will mean an extra $6 in fees and tolls.

http://www.cityofboston.gov/transportation/CABS.ASP shows the taxi rates for trips within Boston and to neighboring towns.

By Sparky - Oct 26, 2003, 9:19 AM
Post #13 of 83 [In reply to]

In Reply To
I am currently looking into relocating to either NYC or Boston. My job is guaranteed successful at either location - this is not my issue. Not concerned with weather, have had it up to "here" with the intense, ridiculous heat. I am considering cost of living, culture, 30-something single life, and transportation without car among other things. I love to stroll around unique, bustling, somewhat trendy neighborhoods and browse, stop for coffee, be active outdoors, visit loungey-type bars or restaurants. Boston seems full of this type of atmosphere...do the positives outweigh the negatives compared to NYC?

Thanks for the advice -

Only if we still had Kingdafy to kick around! He was raised in Phoenix and perhaps still lurks? King if you here us tap three times!

By so - Oct 26, 2003, 12:20 PM
Post #14 of 83 [In reply to]

In Reply To
How much are the various public transportation options? Also cabs typically for a ride-home-from-the-bar type of distance? And what about getting to and from the airport?

the T is about $1/each way...more for the commuter line that goes further away from the city. Cabs to/from bars are $5-20...about... ($5 from Davis Sq --> Somerville; $20 Harvard Sq ---> Newton). They're like 0.40/1/8 mile or something...I think the airport has all flat rates for cabs, $24 or something from Newton. I lived for a long time in Somerville without a car...Newton too...I got everywhere I had to be, but things took longer, grocery shopping was a pain. I wouldn't like to do that again, but if I had to, could.

By marce - Oct 26, 2003, 1:19 PM
Post #15 of 83 [In reply to]

You all are so helpful - thanks so much. One last question... what about neighborhoods? When I do go to visit Boston, where should I make an effort to get to and roam around, possibly look into Apts? According to my first initial question and what my style is, where do you recommend I check out?
Thanks again - you all are great :)

By eeka - Oct 26, 2003, 8:02 PM
Post #16 of 83 [In reply to]

circled T

By JR - Oct 28, 2003, 10:54 AM
Post #17 of 83 [In reply to]

When I do go to visit Boston, where should I make an effort to get to and roam around, possibly look into Apts? According to my first initial question and what my style is, where do you recommend I check out?

Well, if you like a more academic atmosphere, you should consider Brookline in your search (somewhere near Coolidge Corner) - closer to downtown Boston than Somerville, but there are some great bars/bookstores nearby if you feel like being local on a snowy night. Also close enough to the Riverway for a nice run (I think Boston is far better than NYC for outdoorsy things, since NH and ME are so close - and the BSSC always goes up there, so lack of a car is never a problem in that regard). I don't know how "young at heart" you are, but if bands of college kids annoy you, you should be careful of certain areas in Allston (Harvard/Comm)and Brighton (Cleveland Circle). And while the lack of T past midnight sounds bad, it's never been a problem when my friends and I go out dancing, since split cab fare is pretty cheap (and you can always split a fare, since Boston is so small!).

By Ron Newman - Oct 28, 2003, 4:42 PM
Post #18 of 83 [In reply to]

what's a BSSC?

By eeka - Oct 28, 2003, 7:10 PM
Post #19 of 83 [In reply to]

Boston Ski and Sports Club.

By slim - Oct 28, 2003, 9:06 PM
Post #20 of 83 [In reply to]

In Reply To
I am considering cost of living, culture, 30-something single life, and transportation without car among other things. I love to stroll around unique, bustling, somewhat trendy neighborhoods and browse, stop for coffee, be active outdoors, visit loungey-type bars or restaurants.

I lived in NY for 7+ years, Boston going on 12. I found more of the above in NY.

By Vikram - Oct 28, 2003, 9:29 PM
Post #21 of 83 [In reply to]

Definitelty more lounge bars in NYC...also more bustling night life.
Though Boston has more of a neighborhoody feel to it. Also, I'd rate Boston over NYC for outdoorsy things to do. I've found NYC to be very tourist-oriented as opposed to neighborhoody. If you stay away from tourist traps like Quincy Market, Boston is way more homey.

By Allison AllisonM@yahoo.com - Oct 30, 2003, 8:09 PM
Post #22 of 83 [In reply to]

NYC and Boston are both great cities. There is so much to do in both cities. However, Boston is such a historic place that there is so much to learn and see and also have a lot of fun doing other things. And you can get by without a car in Boston. Boston is also in the top ten list for the best place for a woman to live...according to Self Magazine.

By marce - Oct 31, 2003, 12:53 PM
Post #23 of 83 [In reply to]

The neighborhood and homey factor is what I like to hear - this is why I am interested in Boston. It seems more intimate while offering every part of big-city-life as well.
Thanks -

By slim - Oct 31, 2003, 3:05 PM
Post #24 of 83 [In reply to]

I always found my neighborhood in the East Village in NY to be homey and intimate. Nothing touristy about it at all when I lived there. Very funky and grungy, as a matter of fact. Great neighborhood bodegas, small outta the way bars and cafes, second hand clothing stores, unique (as in non-chain) bookstores, specialty meat and produce markets, etc. Very stimluating, inspiring atmosphere. I found everything I wanted and wanted to do right around Tompkins Sq. Park. Then again, that was over 10 years ago. It may have changed since then...

By Ron Newman - Oct 31, 2003, 4:36 PM
Post #25 of 83 [In reply to]

Wasn't there a riot in Tompkins Square Park around that time, because the locals were trying to resist gentrification?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All