Wicked Good Conference / Boston /

A Boston English translator

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

By adamg - Sep 18, 2003, 10:23 AM
Post #1 of 53

MovableJive is an add-on for Movable Type (the software I use to write Boston Common and, for that matter, build the Boston Online home page) that lets the author translate text into a series of dialects, from Fudd (so "very" comes out as "vewwy"), Cockney, Texan and, well, Jive.

But there's no Boston English generator! Wicked annoying! Fortunately, adding in a new dialect is easy - you basically set up a list of words, phrases and letter combinations you want to "translate" (so in our case, you set up a rule that says something like "if 'ar' then print as 'ah' "). What follows is the list of substitutions I've come up with so far (the stuff on the left will be swapped with the stuff on the right). Additions and corrections most welcome.

very|wicked
extremely|wicked
cool|pissa
excellent|wicked pissa
freeway|highway
highway shoulder|breakdown lane
potatoes|b'daydas
potato|b'dayda
soda|tonic
soda pop|tonic
water fountain|bubbla
hero sandwich|grinda
subway car|cah
can get|can't get
corner|cawna
first|fihst
four|foah
sure|shoe-ah
Cuba|Cuber
Havana|Havannar
Brenda|Brender
weird|wee-id
stupid|retahded
dumb|retahded
basement|down cella
dresser drawer|dressa drawah
jeans|dungies
bluejeans|dungies
kaiser rolls|egg rolls
rubber bands|elastics
rubber band|elastic
40|foddy
forty|foddy
30|thihdy
thirdy thihdy
third|thihd
3rd|thihd
milkshake|frappe
malted|frappe
fucking|frickin'
fuckin'|frickin'
freaking|frickin'
freakin'|frickin'
bizarre|bizah
fudgsicle|fudgicle
garbage|gahbidge
tomato sauce|gravy
hamburger|hamburg
frankfurter|frankfurt
Hyde Park|Hipahk
Mattapan|Da Pan
Dorchester|Dawchesta
Quincy|Quinzee
ice cream|Hoodsie
crazy|hoopie
Boston|Hub
Shore|Shoah
North|Nawth
No shit|Light dawns ova Mahblehead
Really!|Light dawns ova Mahblehead
I get it|Light dawns ova Mahblehead
Medford|Meffid
No sir!|Na-ah!
On account of|onna conna
drive-in|open air
liquor store|packie
liquor|likka
living room|Pahlah
front porch|piazza
party|potty
pierced pee-ihced
resident|rat
raw|rawr
Roslindale|Rozzie
West Roxbury|Westie
Jamaica Plain|JP
traffic circle|rotahry
roundabout|rotahry
foreign|westa Wuhstuh
tourist|foreigna
Saturday|Saddadee
here|heah

Register or log in to reply

Re: A Boston English translator

By LaDivina - Sep 18, 2003, 11:42 AM
Post #2 of 53 [In reply to]

so do|so don't
so does|so doesn't
bun|roll
turn signal|directional

:)

Freedom of speech is wonderful - right up there with the freedom not to listen.

By Adam Kalsey adam@kalsey.com - Sep 18, 2003, 12:13 PM
Post #3 of 53 [In reply to]

Wicked pissa.

When you have what you feel is a pretty complete list, let me know and I'll add it to MovableJive.

By so - Sep 18, 2003, 1:34 PM
Post #4 of 53 [In reply to]

sprinkles/jimmies
stupid/queer

By adamg - Sep 18, 2003, 1:36 PM
Post #5 of 53 [In reply to]

stupid/queer

stupid/quee-uh?

By Beso - Sep 18, 2003, 1:51 PM
Post #6 of 53 [In reply to]

Turn signal/blinkah
Medford/Medfid...I know a slew of people from Medford and NEVER heard it called Meffa
party/pahty

Also, tomato sauce being called gravy is more of an Italian thing than a Boston thing. My Italian side of the family, all from Cambrigde, NEVER called it gravy, it's sauce. However, other Italians (my in-laws) call it gravy when it has meat in it, sauce if it doesn't.

By so - Sep 18, 2003, 1:53 PM
Post #7 of 53 [In reply to]

In Reply To

stupid/queer

stupid/quee-uh?

yes, sorry...quee-uh

By Fred Sennott - Sep 18, 2003, 7:41 PM
Post #8 of 53 [In reply to]

In Reply To
MovableJive is an add-on for Movable Type (the software I use to write Boston Common and, for that matter, build the Boston Online home page) that lets the author translate text into a series of dialects, from Fudd (so "very" comes out as "vewwy"), Cockney, Texan and, well, Jive.

But there's no Boston English generator! Wicked annoying! Fortunately, adding in a new dialect is easy - you basically set up a list of words, phrases and letter combinations you want to "translate" (so in our case, you set up a rule that says something like "if 'ar' then print as 'ah' "). What follows is the list of substitutions I've come up with so far (the stuff on the left will be swapped with the stuff on the right). Additions and corrections most welcome.

very|wicked
extremely|wicked
cool|pissa
excellent|wicked pissa
freeway|highway
highway shoulder|breakdown lane
potatoes|b'daydas
potato|b'dayda
soda|tonic
soda pop|tonic
water fountain|bubbla
hero sandwich|grinda
subway car|cah
can get|can't get
corner|cawna
first|fihst
four|foah
sure|shoe-ah
Cuba|Cuber
Havana|Havannar
Brenda|Brender
weird|wee-id
stupid|retahded
dumb|retahded
basement|down cella
dresser drawer|dressa drawah
jeans|dungies
bluejeans|dungies
kaiser rolls|egg rolls
rubber bands|elastics
rubber band|elastic
40|foddy
forty|foddy
30|thihdy
thirdy thihdy
third|thihd
3rd|thihd
milkshake|frappe
malted|frappe
fucking|frickin'
fuckin'|frickin'
freaking|frickin'
freakin'|frickin'
bizarre|bizah
fudgsicle|fudgicle
garbage|gahbidge
tomato sauce|gravy
hamburger|hamburg
frankfurter|frankfurt
Hyde Park|Hipahk
Mattapan|Da Pan
Dorchester|Dawchesta
Quincy|Quinzee
ice cream|Hoodsie
crazy|hoopie
Boston|Hub
Shore|Shoah
North|Nawth
No shit|Light dawns ova Mahblehead
Really!|Light dawns ova Mahblehead
I get it|Light dawns ova Mahblehead
Medford|Meffid
No sir!|Na-ah!
On account of|onna conna
drive-in|open air
liquor store|packie
liquor|likka
living room|Pahlah
front porch|piazza
party|potty
pierced pee-ihced
resident|rat
raw|rawr
Roslindale|Rozzie
West Roxbury|Westie
Jamaica Plain|JP
traffic circle|rotahry
roundabout|rotahry
foreign|westa Wuhstuh
tourist|foreigna
Saturday|Saddadee
here|heah

Adam I have to disagree with some of your Bostonese.Wicked ,wicked cool pissa are relatively new to our vernacular,Its potada not b'dayda,gtrinda and hero are neighborhood words not used in most of the area,I never heard the term dungies,Kaiser roll is new to Boston ,and I believe it was Macdonalds who first used it in one of their ads about 20 years ago,I always and still do call them egg rolls,Only Italians call tomato sauce gravy,We aren't the only ones who call them frankfurts,I say maddapan,a"hoodsie"is ice cream in a paper cup with a cover,no matter who made it(although Hoods has copyrighted the name "hoodsie"),packie is a new term,the first time I ever saw Rozzie and Westy was on this forum just recently,i never said frickin in my whole life,I also say saddaday,a malted is a malted milk shake if you put ice cream in it it becomes a malted frappe,Im say Hidepahk its one word.Keep it up eventually we will have all the foriegners in the world talking with a proper Boston Accent.
Trust in God and sin not.Don't blame me I'm like Sparky I voted for Sarah to.

By so - Sep 19, 2003, 9:53 AM
Post #9 of 53 [In reply to]

I don't get the whole Brenda/Brender thing. I've lived here my whole like and the ONLY Brenda I've met was when I was in 5th grade. I've met several Brennas, but just that one Brenda.

By eeka - Sep 19, 2003, 9:58 AM
Post #10 of 53 [In reply to]

In Reply To
I don't get the whole Brenda/Brender thing. I've lived here my whole like and the ONLY Brenda I've met was when I was in 5th grade. I've met several Brennas, but just that one Brenda.

Was she BrendA or BrendER?

I had not met a Brenda, other than seeing the one on 90210, until I moved here, but in the 3.5 years I've been here, I've had like 10 Brenders as cow orkers or clients.

Then there was Sheiler, who was a clinician at an agency where I did some contracting, who always pronounced her name "Sheiler," and who every day was wearing a bra that was too small and too low-cut so that she was quadraboobing bigtime. You'd think the chick would look into the mirror once and realize she had four boobs. Oh well, she was a great clinician despite not knowing how to say her name and having four boobs!

By so - Sep 19, 2003, 10:02 AM
Post #11 of 53 [In reply to]

In Reply To
Was she BrendA or BrendER?

She was from Milford, probably Brenda

By helen - Sep 19, 2003, 2:44 PM
Post #12 of 53 [In reply to]

We always called kaiser rolls boolkies and hero sanswiches were subs or submarine sandwiches. Sandwiches were sangwiches. Maybe this is just Fast Boston pronunciation.

By Beso - Sep 19, 2003, 3:11 PM
Post #13 of 53 [In reply to]

In Reply To
We always called kaiser rolls boolkies and hero sanswiches were subs or submarine sandwiches. Sandwiches were sangwiches. Maybe this is just Fast Boston pronunciation.

My Italian aunt despises the word sangwiches. She says it's the equivalent of saying "youz guys".

By Fred Sennott - Sep 19, 2003, 8:36 PM
Post #14 of 53 [In reply to]

In Reply To

In Reply To

My Italian aunt despises the word sangwiches. She says it's the equivalent of saying "youz guys".

Beso I was told they say it because sangwich is the Italian word for sandwich,The only ones I remember saying it came from REvere and Everett.I don't remember any of the italian kids I grew up with in North Cambridge or Arlington saying it.

By adamg - Sep 19, 2003, 10:04 PM
Post #15 of 53 [In reply to]

I don't remember any of the italian kids I grew up with in North Cambridge or Arlington saying it.

And that's one of the things that's always fascinated me about Boston English - how people living five miles apart speak slightly different versions of the same language.

By eeka - Sep 20, 2003, 2:22 PM
Post #16 of 53 [In reply to]

In Reply To
Beso I was told they say it because sangwich is the Italian word for sandwich,The only ones I remember saying it came from REvere and Everett.I don't remember any of the italian kids I grew up with in North Cambridge or Arlington saying it.

The Italian word for sandwich is panino.

By Fred Sennott - Sep 20, 2003, 7:37 PM
Post #17 of 53 [In reply to]

In Reply To

In Reply To

eeka like I said that was what I was told.

By eeka - Sep 20, 2003, 10:57 PM
Post #18 of 53 [In reply to]

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

eeka like I said that was what I was told.

And if "sangwich" even sounds remotely like an Italian word to you, you really need to get your head out of where the sun don't shine.

By Denise - Sep 21, 2003, 11:10 AM
Post #19 of 53 [In reply to]

I lived in Medfid as a kid and I nevah heurd anyone call it Meffi.

Now, Hoodsie, yes that really applies. There was this kid in my school (in Chelsea) who was always stuffing his face and eating ice cream. He was never called by his name, we all called him Hoodsie.

By Denise - Sep 21, 2003, 11:18 AM
Post #20 of 53 [In reply to]

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

like I said that was what I was told.

And if "sangwich" even sounds remotely like an Italian word to you, you really need to get your head out of where the sun don't shine.

Anyone else ever say "turch" for church? or Tirhdy(30) my aunt use to say filum for film.. I remember being P0'd at my dad (originally from Michigan, lots of Finns there) for trying to tell me that turch was incorrect.

By Denise - Sep 21, 2003, 11:28 AM
Post #21 of 53 [In reply to]

One thing that is bugging me lately: My sons are beginning to say things like Pearis for Paris and Searah for Sarah ect..I have to remind them that it's PAAAris not Pear-is. I began to wonder where they were hearing this, and I've concluded it's the teachers @ their schools!! Where else would they hear it??? I've even heard them speak like that at parent/teacher meetings. aaaahg!

By ginnie - Sep 21, 2003, 12:46 PM
Post #22 of 53 [In reply to]

My brother married a college professor from California and he has completely lost his Boston accent and adopted her accent. Now he says "ant" instead of ahnt, "ceerige" instead of carriage, etc. It's really annoying and it seems to be a trend as more people move and teach here from across the country.

By ginnie - Sep 21, 2003, 12:47 PM
Post #23 of 53 [In reply to]

My husband is from East Boston, his family is from Italy, and they all say "sangwich." Now I'm afraid my 1 year old son is going to start saying it! Also, they call tomato sauce with or without meat gravy.

By Denise - Sep 21, 2003, 1:48 PM
Post #24 of 53 [In reply to]

In Reply To
My brother married a college professor from California and he has completely lost his Boston accent and adopted her accent. Now he says "ant" instead of ahnt, "ceerige" instead of carriage, etc. It's really annoying and it seems to be a trend as more people move and teach here from across the country.

My two sisters live in Upstate NY and my younger sister says mir (yes, as in the Russian space station) for mirror.. I hate it. She knows better, that's the thing. I can't stand when she says herricane for hUrricane either.. i know. .it shouldn't bother me but it does.

By so - Sep 21, 2003, 2:54 PM
Post #25 of 53 [In reply to]

drawer/draw

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All