Let's not forget that horribly racist puppet show:

Ku Klux Fran & Ollie.
-------------------------
Life is....a Simpsons episode

Register or log in to reply

Re: The Irish in Boston

By Fred Sennott - Oct 29, 2006, 9:35 PM
Post #102 of 124 [In reply to]

Miki you were right this time.for proof just look at Queenie.
Trust in God and sin not.Don't blame me I'm like Sparky I voted for Sarah to.

By MikeyCNY - Aug 15, 2007, 12:15 PM
Post #103 of 124 [In reply to]

Why on earth would anyone go to Boston to experience Irish culture? I've been to both Ireland and Boston and all I can say is that the "Irish-Americans" in America and the Irish in Europe are two completely different groups of people with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN COMMON... and South Boston is nothing but a white trash ghetto infested with ebonics-speaking, pants-down-to-your-ankles, pimply-faced wannabe gang-banging douchebags and REAL Irish people are appalled that South Boston is a bastion of racism and ignorance.

Ireland is very "European" and cosmopolitan, and Irish consider themselves "worldly" and "sophisticated", and they act, dress, look, speak, and carry themselves in a totally different manner than Irish-Americans, which tend to be, well, typical Americans.

There is NOTHING Irish about Boston. Boston does not resemble Ireland in any way, shape, or form nor do the Americans of Irish ancenstry residing in Boston resemble the Irish in Europe in any manner. As a matter of fact, I highly doubt many Irish-Americans in Massachusetts have ever even been to Ireland (or can find it on a map, for that matter), and if they happen to visit, they stick out like sore thumbs with their backward baseball caps and overweight gait. Irish people laugh at and ridicule "Irish-Americans" because you ARE NOT Irish! You are American!

By Ron Newman - Aug 15, 2007, 12:35 PM
Post #104 of 124 [In reply to]

That seems more than a little over-the-top. There is a lot of Celtic music in and around Boston; is none of it authentic? Will you next tell us that the North End contains no real Italians?

By MikeyCNY - Aug 15, 2007, 1:40 PM
Post #105 of 124 [In reply to]

In Reply To
That seems more than a little over-the-top. There is a lot of Celtic music in and around Boston; is none of it authentic? Will you next tell us that the North End contains no real Italians?

if the Italians in North End are anything like the Joey Guidos in New York/New Jersey, then no, North End does not have "real" Italians anymore than South Boston has "real" Irish. and they, too, are laughed at and ridiculed if they ever happen to travel to Italy....because much to their surprise, Italians don't prance around in muscle shirts showing off their roid-juiced muscles, calling everyone "paisan", wearing huge stainless-steel crucifixes and sporting fake tans. They then notice that everyone seems to be staring at them intently. Some people are scowling. ZOMG!! They must be playa-haterz!! Other people are pointing at them and laughing openly.

I should know, by the way, I grew up in Staten Island/Brooklyn, 100% Italian ancentry, and I've seen this happen on my trips to Italy. Unlike most Italian-Americans, however, I speak fluent Italian and blend in well. Same thing I've seen happen when I lived in Dublin and the Americans who happened to have Irish blood were puzzled as to why they weren't as welcomed in Ireland as they expected.

By Fred Sennott - Aug 15, 2007, 8:22 PM
Post #106 of 124 [In reply to]

I've been to Italy on a number of occasions and had trouble convincing The natives that I wasn't of Italian extraction.I wasn't even trying to act Italian.I've been to Dublin and other parts of Ireland. I found most Irish people had a lot of admiration for Americans.I was certainly made to feel at home there.

By Fred Sennott - Aug 15, 2007, 8:26 PM
Post #107 of 124 [In reply to]

I've also spent a lot of time in Brooklyn and Staten Island.I thought the Italo-Americans in Bayonne acted more Italian than those in either borough.None of them could compare with the North Enders.

By Dave - Aug 15, 2007, 9:00 PM
Post #108 of 124 [In reply to]

In Reply To
a disproportionate amount of taxes city folks pay provide a top-notch education for suburban children.

City folks pay suburban property taxes?

By Fred Sennott - Aug 15, 2007, 9:13 PM
Post #109 of 124 [In reply to]

That seems to fit with the rest of his off the wall comments.He apparently has nrever been outside of Flatbush,but would like top make us believe he's a world traveler.

By Ron Newman - Aug 15, 2007, 10:09 PM
Post #110 of 124 [In reply to]

Scott lives in suburban Boston. I think you are confusing him with someone else.

By Jodie - Aug 15, 2007, 10:16 PM
Post #111 of 124 [In reply to]

I think someone doesn't know how to use "in reply to."

By Harry Burton - Aug 15, 2007, 10:40 PM
Post #112 of 124 [In reply to]

There is NOTHING Irish about Boston. Boston does not resemble Ireland in any way, shape, or form nor do the Americans of Irish ancenstry residing in Boston resemble the Irish in Europe in any manner. As a matter of fact, I highly doubt many Irish-Americans in Massachusetts have ever even been to Ireland (or can find it on a map, for that matter), and if they happen to visit, they stick out like sore thumbs with their backward baseball caps and overweight gait. Irish people laugh at and ridicule "Irish-Americans" because you ARE NOT Irish! You are American!

Gee that's a very "worldly" and "sophisticated" opinion.CrazyCrazyCrazyCrazyCrazy

By MikeyCNY - Aug 16, 2007, 8:39 AM
Post #113 of 124 [In reply to]

In Reply To
I've also spent a lot of time in Brooklyn and Staten Island.I thought the Italo-Americans in Bayonne acted more Italian than those in either borough.None of them could compare with the North Enders.

Yeah, because Bayonne is so "old world". LOL. Idiot.

By eeka - Aug 16, 2007, 10:30 AM
Post #114 of 124 [In reply to]

In Reply To
I think someone doesn't know how to use "in reply to."

HEE

By Sarcastic Sam - Aug 16, 2007, 10:37 AM
Post #115 of 124 [In reply to]

In Reply To

if the Italians in North End are anything like the Joey Guidos in New York/New Jersey, then no, North End does not have "real" Italians anymore than South Boston has "real" Irish. and they, too, are laughed at and ridiculed if they ever happen to travel to Italy....because much to their surprise, Italians don't prance around in muscle shirts showing off their roid-juiced muscles, calling everyone "paisan", wearing huge stainless-steel crucifixes and sporting fake tans. They then notice that everyone seems to be staring at them intently. Some people are scowling. ZOMG!! They must be playa-haterz!! Other people are pointing at them and laughing openly.

Mike, I disagree with some of what you've posted in this thread, but this part is SPOT ON. My parents and grandparents are New Yorkers and beyond that I'm of 100% Italian extraction also. I've been to NY/NJ and seen the Guido factor in full force. These people think The Sopranos might as well take place in Rome it's so authentic to them. If they ever did show up in Italy with their wifebeater shirts and pinky rings, they'd be scratching their head in disbelief (with the hand that isn't grabbing their crotch).

When I went to Italy I was given political literature by the locals, now that's the ultimate compliment when they think you're a registered voter. Maybe it's because I didn't wear a baseball cap & running shoes and eat at McDonalds.

As for real Italians in the North End, they do exist, scattered among the Guidos and yuppies who are predominant in that section of town. Most are over 70 years old, hang out on the sidewalk and chatter in either Sicilian or Neapolitan Dialect (I'm not fluent myself, thanks to my grandparents never teaching my parents The Language).

My experience in South Boston is more limited, but I can tell you there are some real Irish there. I've seen them, and heard their accents--they're real Irish, but they are not predominant in Southie. In fact I'd venture to guess that more people originally from Ireland live in Dorchester and maybe some parts of Brighton than in South Boston.

By Sarcastic Sam - Aug 16, 2007, 10:39 AM
Post #116 of 124 [In reply to]

In Reply To
I've been to Italy on a number of occasions and had trouble convincing The natives that I wasn't of Italian extraction.I wasn't even trying to act Italian....

Fred, perhaps it's because you appreciate good food & wine, know how to order food in an Italian restaurant.....or maybe you flirted a lot with the ladies.

By Fred Sennott - Aug 16, 2007, 8:24 PM
Post #117 of 124 [In reply to]

Your giving my secrets away.The ladies were quite pretty.

By townies3 - Aug 27, 2007, 12:11 PM
Post #118 of 124 [In reply to]

Charlestown is a close knit Irish Catholic enclave just north of Boston. Of course like every other neighborhood of Boston, there is an invasion of yuppies. Townies - people who were born and raised in Charlestown, and have irish decent - make up about 60-70% of the population in Charlestown still. There are still many people in Charlestown that are from Ireland, a lot of grandmothers still go to the corner store and talk gaelic, but recently there has been another wave of college-aged people that have been settling in Charlestown from Ireland. Charlestown has always had a huge connection with Ireland. It's still present today, sense most of the townie families have cousins coming from Donegal and Cork. Charlestown backed the IRA sending money, men, and guns. There was also the "Charlestown Rose" contest which sent a girl from Charlestown to Ireland etc. In this one-sqaure mile neighborhood, everyone is family, everyone sticks up for each other, mother's still sit on the stoop, we probably have the most distinct boston accent, and once you walk through the "townie" parts of the neighborhood (not the yuppie infested which is start to becoming known for which is sad because the yuppies don't care about our traditions) you truly get a hint of irish charm.

There has been a documentery out about Charlestown called the "Green Square Mile - the story of the Charlestown Irish" you can purchase it at Saint Francis de Sales Rectory on Bunker Hill St., Doherty's Flower shop on Main St., and Pat's Barber Shop near the Training Field.

If you purchase that i also highly suggest purchasing the Bunker Hill Pipe Band's new cd (they are a townie pipe band from Charlestown and are now the offical bag pipe band of the Dropkick Murphy's - they're wicked good!) You can also purchase the cd at Saint Francis de Sales Rectory or at Saint Catherine's of Siena or Saint Mary's rectory.

While your in Charlestown you should purchase a "townie hoodie" You can get the original townie shirts that have been sold since the 30 and 40's at the Red Store on Saturday and Sunday Mornings. The Red Store is located at the corner of Bunker Hill and Monument Streets. The hoodies have a shamrock in the middle with townies across, or you can purchase one with the monument, with a shamrock in the middle and townies over it. The townie hoodies have nothing to do with crime, since the police now think "townies" are a gang, it's not its just a culture and a people, and since the rest of Boston think we're all violent and crazy due to our crazy past of Irish Gang wars, Forced Busing, White Flight, Code of Silence, and now the racism against spanish people.

Anyways, Charlestown didn't forget it's Irish Roots, but don't get me wrong, we're all proud to be American!

By Johnny - Sep 4, 2007, 5:39 PM
Post #119 of 124 [In reply to]

There are lots of Irish activities in greater Boston year round. Check out www.irishmassachusetts.com, which lists various Irish cultural events (as well as non-Irish events) plus pubs, gift shops, etc. The Boston Irish community is a combination of Irish immigrants who have moved here either temporarily or permanently, alongside Irish-Americans. Check out a music session at the Burren if you want something really authentic. Have fun!

By Fred Sennott - Jun 2, 2008, 9:41 PM
Post #120 of 124 [In reply to]

Goodnight.

By JohnnyJoeO'Cuirc - Sep 22, 2009, 3:18 PM
Post #121 of 124 [In reply to]

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
My opinion based on observation, the irish are the most racist group of people on earth. even the KKK dont like the irish

You stupid bastard!! The KKK is a poorly informed group of rednecks who stand against anyone who isn't white protestant. Last time I checked, Real Irish were Catholics, hence the KKK not inviting us to take part in their celebration of unadulterated hate and violence.
By the way, I'm interested to know what theory you base your statement that "the Irish are the most racist group of people on earth" on?

By JohnnyJoeO'Cuirc - Sep 22, 2009, 3:20 PM
Post #122 of 124 [In reply to]

In Reply To
The Irish Embassay is closed or is closing soon, it's going to be a "Coyote Ugly" bar, named after that stupid movie which has a chain of these bars in other cities.

The movie was actually made about a bar that was already in existance in New Jersey.

By Fred Sennott - Sep 22, 2009, 8:08 PM
Post #123 of 124 [In reply to]

Many years ago when I was in the "Brown Shoe Army" a redneck told me that the three Ks stood for three things they hate the most.Koons <kikes And Katlicks.

By Sparky - Oct 18, 2009, 6:14 PM
Post #124 of 124 [In reply to]

Thanks Fred!

November 1978 ~ Democrats drinking the Kool-Aid ~ November 2008

"Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem"

"Don't Blame Me, I Voted For Sarah"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All