Wicked Good Conference / Boston /

Newcomer Safe in the Back Bay Fens?

By coffeebeans - Jul 14, 2009, 12:44 AM
Post #1 of 2

Hey all,

I recently discovered this forum- very cool indeed! So here is the thing- I am thinking of moving to the Fenway area-particularly Park Drive (lower 30's) close to Peterborough St. I currently live in the burbs, but I need an easier commute as I started grad school part time (and work FT in Back Bay) but I have lived in Somerville, Allston, Porter, Davis...you get the picture. I move a lot. I'm not easily scared but I do stay aware of my surroundings and keep my guard up at night, etc. I'm in my early 30's and wondering if the Fens is a safe place to live. I know there are a ton of college kids, which is fine, but I have read the police blotters about muggings (some armed), and attacks in that area...basically, if I am walking home at 10 PM from class or a dinner with friends from say the Boylston Back Bay area, do I need to carry mace or just run? Or cab it? I know I feel fine when there are a lot of people walking around when its after work but what about later at night -and in the winter when it gets dark at 5pm!? I wouldn't think of walking through the Fens or the gardens later at night (though its beautiful during the day) but is there anything else I should know...am I being paranoid? I know stuff can happen anywhere but I don't want to pay expensive rent and fear someone will jump out of a bush to mug me- unbeknowest to them I never have cash! Does anyone carry cash anymore?!? anyway, any advice would be great...Thank you!!!

Register or log in to reply

Re: Newcomer Safe in the Back Bay Fens?

By eeka - Jul 14, 2009, 7:05 AM
Post #2 of 2 [In reply to]

You probably don't want to live in the fens unless you're a mosquito or a frog.

Register or log in to reply