Wicked Good Conference / Boston /

Is Boston right for us?

By walter - Apr 20, 2009, 12:12 PM
Post #1 of 5

We are from the Midwest and have the opportunity to take a position in the Burlington, MA area. We have visited Boston on vacation in the past and love the history, the seashore, etc. but have always felt that if you weren't from Mass, or at least the East Coast, it would be hard to be accepted. Is that true?

We are looking for the best place to move ... we do not like suburbs (at least the way suburbs are in Midwest and South--strip malls and block after block of identical housing with little to no landscaping). We much prefer to live where there is a strong sense of community, a "town center" where we can buy local produce, etc., and ideally a place where we can walk to schools and/or public transport. (Don't mind driving some but don't want to spend more time in a car than necessary.) Love the look of Concord, for ex., but might be too pricey. Finally, want a place where people are not as focused on making money as they are on having a good quality of life. With children under 10, schools and safety are of utmost importance and we want a place kids can be kids--where they can excel in great local schools but aren't so pressurized by tests, competitions, and having to wear the "right" clothes to be accepted.

Is there such a place in/near Boston? Thanks!

Register or log in to reply

Re: Is Boston right for us?

By adamg - Apr 21, 2009, 8:43 PM
Post #2 of 5 [In reply to]

Natick, specifically Natick Center or Walnut Hill might fit the bill for you, although it'll be a bit of a commute up to Burlington (and you'd have to drive it).

Concord is very expensive and also very status concious.

By Ron Newman - Apr 23, 2009, 10:34 AM
Post #3 of 5 [In reply to]

I'd look at Arlington, and maybe Lexington (if you can afford it)

By Scott - Apr 26, 2009, 8:50 PM
Post #4 of 5 [In reply to]

Move to Billerica. It has been called the most scenic town in New England.
--------------------------------
Meeb shall return to us!!

By greta - May 14, 2009, 7:58 PM
Post #5 of 5 [In reply to]

In Reply To
We are from the Midwest and have the opportunity to take a position in the Burlington, MA area. We have visited Boston on vacation in the past and love the history, the seashore, etc. but have always felt that if you weren't from Mass, or at least the East Coast, it would be hard to be accepted. Is that true?

We are looking for the best place to move ... we do not like suburbs (at least the way suburbs are in Midwest and South--strip malls and block after block of identical housing with little to no landscaping). We much prefer to live where there is a strong sense of community, a "town center" where we can buy local produce, etc., and ideally a place where we can walk to schools and/or public transport. (Don't mind driving some but don't want to spend more time in a car than necessary.) Love the look of Concord, for ex., but might be too pricey. Finally, want a place where people are not as focused on making money as they are on having a good quality of life. With children under 10, schools and safety are of utmost importance and we want a place kids can be kids--where they can excel in great local schools but aren't so pressurized by tests, competitions, and having to wear the "right" clothes to be accepted.

Is there such a place in/near Boston? Thanks!

Well....I would suggest West Roxbury or Roslindale. Being from that area myself, I am partial to it, but I think it fits your criteria quite nicely.

It is about 41 minutes to Burlington. Although I am not sure there is a bus there, it is likely there is at least one as Burlington is a "commuter suburb".

I agree with you about the identical houses-I hate those Midwestern groups of houses in the middle of nowhere that sit on what use to be corn/soy fields.Well, never fear, the houses in Westie and Rozzy have plenty a' chahm!

Around here, there is 5 main house types:

Colonial, Garrison Colonial, Cape, Victorian, and Medieval-Inn-style houses. However, there are tons of different styles-perhaps you'd enjoy a large Victorian in the quiet backroads of West Roxbury or a Triple Decker in the noisy main streets of Roslindale.

As for schools-there are plenty of lovely schools around Westie and Rozzy.

You've got the Kilmer, going from K-1 to 7th(it'll be going to 8th grade next year!), that has two locations, one on Baker Street(near Kilmer Street) and the other on Russet Road(near Weld Street.) They have good test scores and mostly good teachers, although the science teacher for the older children uses method I am not particularly fond of.

There is the Lyndon, a Pilot school, meaning the teachers have more freedom.

There is the Orenburger, a truly wonderful school with a huge playground, ball field, gym, and cafeteria/library.

There is also Advanced Work for children chosen after taking the Stanford Nine in either 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade.

It also has(or had, I'm not sure if it still does) a lovely day summer camp, run by the awesome preschool teachers Grace and Pat.

And it's not true you have to be from here to be accepted-I have seen children who moved here and they are accepted-some of them are even the "popular" kids.

West Roxbury has more of a sense of community-to me anyway, we have immersed ourselves in Westie, not Rozzy.

If you immerse yourself in it, i.e., sending your kids to school there, going to a book club, shopping at Roche Bros., you're sure to find it! We have and run into people we know all the time all over Centre Street, the main street of West Roxbury.

There are houses near all school I mentioned above, except the Orenburger, which only really has a...subdivision near it.

West Roxbury has plenty of "chahm", as they say. You've got quaint little breakfast joints, your family supermarket(Roche Bros.), a playground on LeGrange.

Plus, tons of ethnic food. Get your Irish food at the Corib(on Centre, near Dino's) , your Indian/Nepalese food at the Himalayan Bistro(on Centre-near that Roche center), your Venezuelan food at Viva Me Arepa(near Mr. Gas), and your delicious, hearty, American-y food at the Pleasant Cafe(on Washington Street in Roslindale, near Beach Street), a local favorite-I met a man who's been going there for 45 years and always gets the same thing, and another person who moved away from Roslindale to the suburbs but still eats there.

Good luck!

-----Greta