Wicked Good Conference / Boston /

places to live around Boston

By rseliskar - Oct 12, 2008, 10:51 PM
Post #1 of 6

Hi!
We are Montrealers moving to Boston shortly. My better-half :) will be working at Intel in Hudson.
Any suggetions on where to live that combines a relatively short commute (let's say under/about 30 minutes - we Montrealers are spoiled!) and decent quality of life (ie: not too far from Boston and with an interesting downtown area...not a ghetto)?
Framigham? Marlborought? Waltham? or are places as far as Watertown worth the trade off?
Thanks!!!

Register or log in to reply

Re: places to live around Boston

By syandrgo12 - Oct 16, 2008, 6:21 AM
Post #2 of 6 [In reply to]

Hi, I also intend relocating to Boston. Would be very keen on seeing the responses you get.

I am looking for fairly descent areas to live in Boston, preferably in and around Framingham.

By adamg - Oct 16, 2008, 8:47 PM
Post #3 of 6 [In reply to]

In and around Framingham?

Well, there's Framingham and, um, Natick.

How close do you want to be to commuter rail? And are you looking to buy or rent?

By adamg - Oct 17, 2008, 5:27 PM
Post #4 of 6 [In reply to]

Intel in Hudson? I remember when that was a DEC plant.

Are you looking to buy or rent?

Anyway: towns around Hudson to consider, with decent downtowns are

Hudson itself, Marlborough, Maynard. If you're looking to rent, Acton and Boxborough have largeish apartment complexes - and Acton has a commuter-rail stop on the Fitchburg line into Boston (it's easy to get to from Maynard). Boxborough is bascially a rural little town with a couple of apartment complexes stuck in it.

Framingham has its good and bad parts (well, basically, you want to stay away from the immediate downtown area); Natick is sort of like Framingham only a lot smaller. The commute from them to Hudson, though, might be kind of annoying, because there's no direct route between them and Hudson and you'll spend a lot of time stuck in traffic on smallish roads.

As much as I like Watertown, I wouldn't recommend it because the commute will just be too long.

By Sparky - Oct 18, 2008, 10:43 AM
Post #5 of 6 [In reply to]

In Reply To
I remember when that was a DEC plant.

Hehe, I remember working in the DEC plant there, aka "Digital".

It was then in my young twenties I formulated my "coffee mug theory".

I couldn't help but notice that while I was working very hard for $6/hr there were hundreds of
employees there walking around all day with a Globe under one arm and a coffee mug in the other hand, except of course the young Asian girls in the small assemby area. I remember saying to the journeyman at the time that Digital wasn't long for this world. He laughed at me explaining it was one of the biggest employers in town, no way was it ever going out of business.

By Fred Sennott - Oct 18, 2008, 8:23 PM
Post #6 of 6 [In reply to]

I knew a few guys who thought thet were set for life when they got jobs at DEC.They told me I was wasting my time working for the MTA (MBTA to you newcomers).I did quit the MBTA a few years later ,but it was my move .I wanted a different challenge and made more money as a chef or restaurant manager.
Trust in God and sin not.Don't blame me I'm like Sparky I voted for Sarah to.