Wicked Good Conference / Miscellany /

polygamist raid

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Re: polygamist raid

By Fred Sennott - Apr 29, 2008, 8:55 PM
Post #51 of 68 [In reply to]

How reliable is this information ,I didn't see Sonia2's imprimature on it anywhere?
Trust in God and sin not.Don't blame me I'm like Sparky I voted for Sarah to.

Register or log in to reply

By AmeriKenArtist - Apr 30, 2008, 3:58 PM
Post #52 of 68 [In reply to]

Seems sophomoric to me.

By sonia2 - May 22, 2008, 2:00 PM
Post #53 of 68 [In reply to]

Appeals Court Overturns Sect Custody Decision

Child welfare officials had no right to seize hundreds of
children from the polygamist sect, a Texas appellate court
ruled.

Read More:
http://www.nytimes.com/?emc=na

By Fred Sennott - May 22, 2008, 8:25 PM
Post #54 of 68 [In reply to]

But they didn't make them give them back.Wanna bet that they keep them?

By Sarcastic Sam - May 23, 2008, 10:06 AM
Post #55 of 68 [In reply to]

I'm completely for giving the kids back to their mothers. It's the men guilty of rape and child abuse who should be kept in jail, away from these kids.
-------------------------
Life is....a Simpsons episode

By sonia2 - May 23, 2008, 10:55 AM
Post #56 of 68 [In reply to]

In Reply To
It's the men guilty of rape and child abuse who should be kept in jail

no one has been found guilty of anything!
Several of the girls that the state said were underage mothers, have been found to be over 21.

"The decision was another setback for Texas officials, who in recent days have conceded that at least 15 of the young mothers the state initially had detained as child brides are in fact adults. One turned out to be 27 years old."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-polygamist_sect_23may23,0,2065373.story

The raid on Yearning for Zion, the polygamist compound in Texas, made international news amid accusations of underage marriage, child abuse, and religious persecution. Hundreds of children have undergone DNA testing and been relocated to foster homes as the case unfolds.

But one little detail has been largely forgotten: The raid ­— resulting in the largest child custody case in American history — was based on a lie.

Today, a Texas appeals court threw the case out, ruling that the state had no right to take more than 400 children from the sect's ranch.

http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/080522-polygamy-case.html

By Sarcastic Sam - May 23, 2008, 3:43 PM
Post #57 of 68 [In reply to]

In Reply To

In Reply To
It's the men guilty of rape and child abuse who should be kept in jail

no one has been found guilty of anything!

I didn't mean to say that they had.... of course nobody's been found guilty. The way our justice system works, they'll all be over 65, collecting social security before the legal processes and appeals are over. In the meantime...if they're underage, been knocked up by relatives, have been abused and confused so much that they can't even point out their own fathers in a lineup...something smells bad. IMO they can live with their mothers, but not with any male adult relative from that compound until this is sorted out.

Call me an overprotective asshole but that's how I feel.

Several of the girls that the state said were underage mothers, have been found to be over 21.

Then, whoever lied about it needs to be disciplined, this doesn't mean the true minors (if there are any) should be placed back in custody of the suspected abusers/rapists.

Now who knows, the authorities may have been lying about this too. If so, they must have gone to the same Texas Governmental School of Forcibly Doing Stuff Unconstitutionally Because They Really Have A Hunch About This and Those Are Bad People Anyway as President Bush.

By Dave - May 23, 2008, 5:55 PM
Post #58 of 68 [In reply to]

In Reply To
Now who knows, the authorities may have been lying about this too. If so, they must have gone to the same Texas Governmental School of Forcibly Doing Stuff Unconstitutionally Because They Really Have A Hunch About This and Those Are Bad People Anyway as President Bush. I'm surprised they didn't burn them to the ground like President Clinton's Justice Department.

FTFY

By Fred Sennott - May 23, 2008, 8:20 PM
Post #59 of 68 [In reply to]

Because they aren't a bunch of nutcake liberals ala Reno.

By Sarcastic Sam - May 23, 2008, 11:57 PM
Post #60 of 68 [In reply to]

In Reply To

In Reply To
Now who knows, the authorities may have been lying about this too. If so, they must have gone to the same Texas Governmental School of Forcibly Doing Stuff Unconstitutionally Because They Really Have A Hunch About This and Those Are Bad People Anyway as President Bush. I'm surprised they didn't burn them to the ground like President Clinton's Justice Department.

FTFY

Hmmm. Thanks Dave for FTFM....well, I do admit that the Reno method *does* resolve the situation quickly without all that dragged out legal posturing stuff. And we all know that the Branch Davidians started that fire and shot each other, right?

By sonia2 - May 24, 2008, 1:58 AM
Post #61 of 68 [In reply to]

In Reply To

Susan Hays, a lawyer in Dallas who specializes in appellate law and who is the lawyer for a 2-year-old taken from the ranch, said the children might begin returning home as early as next week.

“Right now, there is an order saying return the children,” Ms. Hays said. “It technically does not apply to all the women’s children. But practically it does.”

She said the state would have to file a motion for emergency release quickly that asks the court to stay the order.

“If they don’t,” Ms. Hays said, “then we’re done. The children could be returned as soon as next week, or not depending on what happens with the high court.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/23/us/23raid.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin

By sonia2 - May 24, 2008, 2:10 AM
Post #62 of 68 [In reply to]

In Reply To
But they didn't make them give them back.

they've started to!
you would have lost the bet:

"Child welfare officials have agreed to return 12 children taken from a polygamist sect's ranch to their parents while the courts weigh hundreds of other cases, a family spokeswoman said Friday."
http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/05/23/flds.next/index.html

By sonia2 - May 29, 2008, 7:06 PM
Post #63 of 68 [In reply to]

In Reply To

SAN ANTONIO - In a crushing blow to the state's massive seizure of children from a polygamist sect's ranch, the Texas Supreme Court ruled Thursday that child welfare officials overstepped their authority and the children should go back to their parents.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24878696/?GT1=43001

By Sarcastic Sam - Jun 2, 2008, 10:23 AM
Post #64 of 68 [In reply to]

In Reply To
.... the Texas Supreme Court ruled Thursday that child welfare officials overstepped their authority and the children should go back to their parents.

Does this mean that they actually figured out who their parents are (the kids couldn't even say for sure when initially interviewed)? And did they announce the DNA test results?

By sonia2 - Jun 2, 2008, 10:51 AM
Post #65 of 68 [In reply to]

they stopped the dna testing - it's not warranted - the kids were taken illegally, so they parents (actually just the mothers), get them back after signing paperwork.

By sonia2 - Jun 2, 2008, 10:53 AM
Post #66 of 68 [In reply to]

Breaking News:A Texas judge today signed an order returning more than 440 children seized from a polygamist sect to their parents.

check cnn for the details, this is breaking news now.
probably by tomorrow, all 440 kids will be at home.

By Sarcastic Sam - Jun 2, 2008, 12:36 PM
Post #67 of 68 [In reply to]

In Reply To
they stopped the dna testing - it's not warranted - the kids were taken illegally, so they parents (actually just the mothers), get them back after signing paperwork.

"actually just the mothers"...good. that's the smart thing to do.

Although I did read an article that said DNA testing had commenced....but didn't mention results. Another article said that some of the fathers had mysteriously disappeared from the compound, presumably to avoid prosecution pending the DNA results.

By sonia2 - Jun 3, 2008, 1:12 PM
Post #68 of 68 [In reply to]

Strange how much the Texas raid of a polygamist ranch resembles the U.S. invasion of Iraq. Just as American leaders seemed certain that Iraqis would gratefully embrace us for deposing Saddam Hussein, the Texas authorities seemed to expect dozens of newly freed girls to come forward complaining that they had been forced into sex and detained against their wills. In the weeks after the raid, the Texas officials seemed to launch their own search for weapons of mass destruction — or in this case, mass molestation of young girls — that were never found. Instead they'd trumpet whatever else they could find — oh, here's an underage mother. Except, as it turned out, many of those weren't underage. Even if they had been, teen mothers hold little shock value for society these days...

Problem is, what exactly are marriage and polygamy these days? The men don't appear to have been marrying girls in the legal sense of the word; the group calls the multiple relationships "spiritual marriages," and certainly we all know of such spiritual marriages by different words in ordinary society. How many men have children by multiple women, never marrying any of them? The only polygamists these days are the few who hide their marital status from a woman and take out a second marriage license. They're so rare, they're almost quaint...

http://opinion.latimes.com/opinionla/2008/06/polygamy-aint-w.html

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All