Wicked Good Conference / Forum talk /

OK, gang, tell me why I shouldn't just shut this thing down

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

By adamg - Oct 16, 2007, 11:05 AM
Post #1 of 151

We're right back to where we were a year or so ago:

Name-calling, not-so-veiled threats, posting of names of members of professional licensing boards and, oh, yeah, the occasional question from somebody asking where they should live in Boston.

In other words, there are about 7 or 8 people making the vast majority of posts in an echo chamber - the actual total readership of the WGC is vanishingly small and the whole thing really hasn't been fun for quite some time and I'm getting really tired of it all, to be honest.

Register or log in to reply

Re: OK, gang, tell me why I shouldn't just shut this thing d

By eeka - Oct 16, 2007, 11:16 AM
Post #2 of 151 [In reply to]

I can see how it's getting to be a big waste of your time. I'd kind of miss it though. And most people are generally behaving. Sure, people argue and whatnot, but people are basically respectful with a few exceptions who insist on using the forum as their personal test of the how-mean-can-I-be-and-get-away-with-it system.

Maybe we could democratically vote people off the island? What if you let everyone who's a Wicked Good Rat e-mail you and make bannination requests?

By Maggard - Oct 16, 2007, 11:43 AM
Post #3 of 151 [In reply to]

The way I see it either remodel or shut down.

Sorry, I pop in & out here but honestly, it's not got a lot going on for it. It feels insular; constant sniping back & forth between some participants, very little in the way of cogent discussion, apparently random posts of nothing but a url.

And yeah, the where-should-I-lives.

I'm guessing most of the discussions have moved to other venues, either Boston.com with it's huge advertising, blogs for personal or circle-of-friends stuff, or more specialized boards for specific interests.

I do think there is a place for something like this, but I doubt Adam has the time or energy to invest in rehabbing.

FWIW, if you really don't want to pull the plug on it, perhaps a format change might be in order. There are some regular themes that constantly come up, perhaps those could be the basis for a Wicked Good Wiki.

Paste the accumulated wisdom of these forums into that and see if pages work better then threads. It'd be a one-time effort and if the results are unsatisfactory then they could be locked and left for future researchers.

In any case, thanks for your efforts. Nobody can argue you threw the towel in early, and there were some great moments.

By sonia2 - Oct 16, 2007, 12:35 PM
Post #4 of 151 [In reply to]

In Reply To
The way I see it either remodel or shut down.

or - kick the dolts out, or shut it down.
you can't invest more time in monitoring...but you could make others moderators, who could remove posts that were just trollish.

By Sarcastic Sam - Oct 16, 2007, 1:50 PM
Post #5 of 151 [In reply to]

I was just going to suggest what sonia said.

I belong to another message board which has more traffic than WGC and is owned by a very busy guy. He almost shut it down a year or two (for similar reasons Adam is considering) but instead deputized as Moderators a few regular, long-standing posters who had what he considered to be common sense and fairness. The board has thrived since then. The moderators do have to be on the board regularly in order to police things, have the power to delete/edit messages, delete/merge threads, but only the owner can ban a user. I think that model would work for the WGC.
-------------------------
Life is....a Simpsons episode

By Ron Newman - Oct 16, 2007, 1:59 PM
Post #6 of 151 [In reply to]

I would volunteer, but I'm busy enough now co-moderating Davis Square LiveJournal. We haven't had much trouble there lately.

By Sarcastic Sam - Oct 16, 2007, 2:16 PM
Post #7 of 151 [In reply to]

Another reason:

If you shut it down, the terrorists will have won.
-------------------------
Life is....a Simpsons episode

By eeka - Oct 16, 2007, 2:20 PM
Post #8 of 151 [In reply to]

In Reply To
I would volunteer, but I'm busy enough now co-moderating Davis Square LiveJournal. We haven't had much trouble there lately.

Part of that might be because that forum has some ground rules. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have similar ones here. Ron, I think you'd be a great mod, if you could find the time. And if Adam wants mods.

"Racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia, sizism, and similar intolerances have no place here" would allow the mod to delete 99% of the trolling that happens here.

By sonia2 - Oct 16, 2007, 2:22 PM
Post #9 of 151 [In reply to]

In Reply To

In Reply To

Part of that might be because that forum has some ground rules. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have similar ones here. Ron, I think you'd be a great mod, if you could find the time. And if Adam wants mods.

"Racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia, sizism, and similar intolerances have no place here" would allow the mod to delete 99% of the trolling that happens here.

I was just going to say that...that before posts get deleted, that some clear rules are posted where everyone can see. Perhaps after 3 or 4 trollish comments that get removed, then they're kicked out?

By AmeriKenArtist - Oct 16, 2007, 4:06 PM
Post #10 of 151 [In reply to]

Adam, I am on a forum where the moderator gives one warning. If the poster continues to be arrogant, that is the final post seen. Period. Wow, does it keep everyone in line. In fact, regular posters will warn bullies if they detect bad behavior "in its infancy!"

If you shut down, I understand and I'll see you on your other site!
Smile

By Dave - Oct 16, 2007, 5:20 PM
Post #11 of 151 [In reply to]

You're the boss.
Would that simply cause the same problem behavior to get shifted over to the other site?

By Dave - Oct 16, 2007, 5:21 PM
Post #12 of 151 [In reply to]

In Reply To
Ron, I think you'd be a great mod, if you could find the time. And if Adam wants mods.

How about Don?

By triquetra - Oct 16, 2007, 7:18 PM
Post #13 of 151 [In reply to]

In Reply To

In Reply To
Ron, I think you'd be a great mod, if you could find the time. And if Adam wants mods.

How about Don?

Bite your tongue.

I agree that mods are a good idea; I also agree that Ron is one of the very few posters here I think would make a good, fair, consistent mod.

But it does seem to have gotten to the put-up-or-shut-up stage again, and I'll take my share of the responsibility for that.
*~*~*~*
Luceo non uro

By Sparky - Oct 16, 2007, 10:07 PM
Post #14 of 151 [In reply to]

“We're right back to where we were a year or so ago……….. posting of
names of members of professional licensing boards and……...”

Adam with all due respect, sincerely, we’re FAR beyond last year.

I’m not trying to pin the fault on you BUT had you stepped up to the plate several years back
when the following exchange occurred maybe, just maybe the situation many members find themselves
in today may have been avoided, maybe not:

By Scott - Jul 28, 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #32 of 69 [In reply to]
Don`t they post licenses on-line? I wonder how many electricians there are in Norwood?
By Frankie - Jul 28, 2004, 10:19 PM
Post #33 of 69 [In reply to]
Ole Sparks is on the run. You have him terrified, now.
Re: BUSH RALLY
By Scott - Jul 28, 2004, 10:22 PM
Post #35 of 69 [In reply to]
from six million to sixty... we are so close...

Who exactly is the “we” Scott referred to? Sounds like something that is covered under the RICO act imo.
Why was the threat of searching the Electrical Board’s licensee list (to locate me) ok but posting the names
of State board members (to warn privacy pirates away from my family) not?

Eeka released my name on-line, continuing Scott’s threat from three years prior, from 60 names to one name, mine,:

Re: 10 months later and I am finally coming!
By eeka - Jul 13, 2007, 12:10 PM
Post #22 of 42 [In reply to]
“Craig, will you quit harassing people? Just because you get drunk and take your anger out on
people on the internet doesn't mean we should assume that everyone else is doing the same.
The guy came on here and asked a reasonable question and has been nothing but polite. Take
your stupid crap somewhere else.”

That UNAUTHORIZED disclosure has RECKLESSLY exposed my family.

Then after I EXPRESSLY stated that I did not authorize ANY such release of my PRIVATE information and
to CEASE and DESIST from doing so, both Triquetra and AmerikenArtist have persisted in revealing my
name REPEATEDLY on your website exposing you legally imo.

Furthermore it is my belief that in releasing my name, hence my address, they have violated my son’s
(& others’) privacy under FEDERAL law. Again you have done nothing to discourage this behavior by THEM imo.

This cannot be allowed to continue!

I tried to get you to resolve the situation but my demand went IGNORED. I’m at the point of filing a formal complaint with the Allied Mental Health Board and let them decide if Eeka’s (insert real name here) privilege of holding a State license trumps my son’s FEDERAL right to privacy.

Do the citizens of the Commonwealth have a right to demand that those licensed by the state to provide social services respect the privacy of those receiving it under their supervision of the state?

One could argue that I’m hiding behind my family, ok, yet I cannot separate myself from my address, nor my family. Nor should I have to at Eeka, Triquetra, AmeriKen’s whim. The law is highly in my family’s favor in this matter.

Beyond the fact that Eeka released my addresss illegally, she previously sent a threatening e-mail to me which
I will eagerly provide to the board if requested. All done without cause.

Additionally Triquetra posted this assault on my son just prior to Eeka effectively releasing our home address which I believe illustrates their desire to assault both me and my family:

By triquetra - Jul 2, 2007, 9:34 AM
Post #241 of 245 [In reply to]
And here we have the proof that Sparky does not consider people on the internet to be real people, since just because one exchanges posts, e-mails, and other media, one has not "met" someone else.

I'm glad to know, by the way, that mentioning family members gives us free rein to attack them...or is that only for you? Didn't you get a wee bit upset when Frankie was calling your son brain-damaged? Why? You did mention him, after all.”

Then after removing myself from the forum for over an entire month, this was posted upon my return:

Re: he's a douche
By Hally Burton - Sep 17, 2007, 6:08 PM
Post #9 of 18 [In reply to]
“five norwoodians?”

Looks like a case of either internet or physical stalking to me. I think it would that way to any
outside, impartial judge too.

Another member of Scott’s “we”? Certainly looks like the “we” are after my family where I stand.

Additionally for some reason Eeka & Triquarta feel compelled to insert themselves in other members’ lives:

Re: Boston Online
By eeka - Apr 12, 2004, 11:38 PM
Post #41 of 139 [In reply to]
“Sparky, I've offered to meet you after work in the area several times and you've not taken me up
on it. How come you won't even take your own ridiculous dare.”

By eeka - Apr 18, 2004, 3:41 PM
Post #81 of 139 [In reply to]
“Um, dipshit, I've offered to meet you after work in the area several times, and you aren't taking me up on it.”

She has sent me e-mails, wedding photos (wtf?), etc, etc, I think most here get the message.
At each and every step I refused to meet, communicate off-forum, etc with her.

This behavior is not reserved just for me either.

Others have been harassed into leaving the WGC, Amanda being the latest that I can recall who also had private information released here, there have been MANY others too. For the record, I never met the girl nor most of the other folks they harassed.

Why were they harassed, they simply disagreed with a couple of bullies politically.

But really all one needs to know about how Eeka & Triquetra operate is to read this:

Re: romney is sooo uptight
By triquetra - Oct 2, 2007, 6:27 AM
Post #28 of 220 [In reply to]
“Y'know, Harry, for all your strong opinions, we don't know anything about your background or life at all. I do, however, know that you're arguing with parents and people trained in child development and treatment of both survivors and offenders. Even without my obvious bias in favor of the people concerned, I'd be inclined to give stronger weight to the opinions of professionals than some random dude who I know nothing about.

Well, you've given clues to your age, but that's about it.”

You see these two really don’t want discuss anything, they just feed off personal information members make out of simple innocent conversation to make their relentless assaults on anyone who might dare disagree with them at a later date.

I don’t know what you are going to do Adam, for me I’m keeping my powder dry, for now. To be clear I want every here to know that I know both Eeka & Triquetra’s real names from their e-mails, AmeriKen’s from his profile here. Yet I’ve never used them here, 1) because its creepy, 2) I wouldn’t put myself in that legal jeopardy, 3) wouldn’t put anyone else there either, 4) quite frankly I was brought up better than that.

So I repeat my previous demand – remove the content that exposes my family. It’s a simple request when one really thinks about it.

I think I have demonstrated a high degree of restaint to date despite the fact I have been attacked solely for political purposes. To think that the same abusers now want to moderate the free speech of their victims when
they can't even exercise self control, it really demonstrates how lost some here truly are.

Finally, I refer back to the beginning of my reply that several people here are in a situation, they are. It goes beyond just the three already mentioned and imo are Federal offenses in nature. You people REALLY need to take a hard look at yourselves before you start throwing stones, here again I'm keeping my powder dry for now and trust me I'm not bluffing. So best leave my family (& those of other internet users) alone.

By sonia2 - Oct 16, 2007, 10:21 PM
Post #15 of 151 [In reply to]

geez louise.
If everyone is out to get you - why don't you just leave?
you've said some very horrible things to a lot of people here. tit for tat, so to speak?

a post like this:
Ladytravel
By Sparky - Jul 16, 2007, 7:30 PM
Post #1 of 6

Hey when you get a chance e-mail if you can.

oldeironsides@yahoo.com

in a public forum negates anything that you've said in the above post.

By triquetra - Oct 16, 2007, 10:53 PM
Post #16 of 151 [In reply to]

What I don't get is why you posted the names of the licensing board in response to me (and thank you for finally saying what they were; I was very confused). I don't have a license in Massachusetts. I don't need one. The board can't do anything to me, and I very much doubt they can do anything to eeka for something I posted.

If you're so concerned about your family's safety, why did you give your real name to someone you don't trust? Why do you keep coming back ? Why did you just repost eeka's post with your name in it, if having your name repeated is such a crime?

Do you really think the licensing board is going to take seriously a complaint that someone posted just your first name on a public forum and that a result of that...nothing has happened?

I'm not at all sure where you're going with the sudden panic over the fact that we all know you live in Norwood. You've told us this many times. Everyone also knows eeka and I live in Roxbury. This is not a secret. My last name is Shira. Also not a secret. I'm pretty sure most people her already have my phone number.

eeka hasn't released your address, your last name, or anything else. If you hadn't thrown such a hissy fit when she used your first name, I doubt anybody would have even noticed.

I'd very much like to see the text of this supposed threatening e-mail, but I don't expect it to actually exist. I assume it's as out of context as the scraps of the Blue Hill Ave walk discussion you posted.

And a whole lot of the stuff you're reposting happened three or more years ago. Obsessed much? Frankie was banned almost two years ago and Scott hasn't posted since March.

It's up to Adam to remove anything that mentions your name, such as your own post. It's not possible for anyone to change their own post more than two hours after it's been posted, so even if I wanted to go through and delete your name from all my posts, I can't.

In closing (finally!), I have a hard time believing you're all that concerned about your family, since you can't even seem to, I don't know, stop logging on to a forum that you think poses a threat to them. Does your family even know this forum exists? If so, would they know if you hadn't told them about it?
*~*~*~*
Luceo non uro

By triquetra - Oct 16, 2007, 10:55 PM
Post #17 of 151 [In reply to]

Now that that's off my chest...Adam, I think this may be a sign that it is, in fact, past time to shut this thing down. I don't need to be harrassed by someone with paranoid delusions, and neither do you nor anyone else.
*~*~*~*
Luceo non uro

By Neal - Oct 17, 2007, 12:23 AM
Post #18 of 151 [In reply to]

Maybe, maybe not, depending on how open Adam is to having it moderated. I mean, most people get along here pretty well and some even have tried to extend an olive branch to those who they didn't get along with. I think it would be a shame to shut it down because of the conduct of basically one person. Others did feed into it and help fuel the fire, but all-in-all, it was one person. Forums like this are conducive to bullies, passive aggressive people and self-proclaimed victims. Most have a set of rules and some sort of enforcement mechanism.

By Sparky - Oct 17, 2007, 4:50 AM
Post #19 of 151 [In reply to]

In Reply To
geez louise.
If everyone is out to get you - why don't you just leave?
you've said some very horrible things to a lot of people here. tit for tat, so to speak?

a post like this:
Ladytravel
By Sparky - Jul 16, 2007, 7:30 PM
Post #1 of 6

Hey when you get a chance e-mail if you can.

oldeironsides@yahoo.com

in a public forum negates anything that you've said in the above post.

I didn't say everyone is out to get me, STOP twisting my words. I said Eeka & Triqetra are.

And yeah a select few oh maybe 10 or 11 in a Commonwealth of 6,000,000 may have conspired with them, in varying degrees, to deny fellow citizens their rights, extending well past this website. I shall sve that for the proper forum.

Yeah I could surrender and allow freedom of speech to go out the window in Massachusetts, just like voting has, but as a veteran I feel it is important to stand up for the Constitution.

It's obvious that some here can spout their crap but can't defend it in a civil manner. I haven't even talked to the two nuts since July. Yet they continue their assault.

I don't see how you can get my name from the e-mail address. I guess you feel that if you give a check with your address and phone number to the supermarket it gives them the right to pass it along to whomever they feel?

Bottom line is this - just this past week a lady was convicted for releasing her aunt's address over the internet - she's a convicted felon now - because the house was destroyed by thieves.

You can believe what you want, the law is clearly on my side here. The offending material must be removed. Are you and others willing to bet your homes and property on it? I am.

By triquetra - Oct 17, 2007, 6:41 AM
Post #20 of 151 [In reply to]

Again, nobody released any part of your address except you, and again, I can't go back and remove your name from any of my posts, even if I wanted to.

Incidentally, why don't you go ahead and call me Molly, since "triquetra" seems to be so difficult to spell?

And if you really believe the First Amendment applies to a privately-run forum, maybe you need to re-check your Constitutional knowledge.
*~*~*~*
Luceo non uro

By sonia2 - Oct 17, 2007, 8:23 AM
Post #21 of 151 [In reply to]

In Reply To

Bottom line is this - just this past week a lady was convicted for releasing her aunt's address over the internet - she's a convicted felon now - because the house was destroyed by thieves.

Bottom line is really that you continue to post on a public forum, and even after you cried about information being leaked (btw - the only personal stuff I know about you is stuff that you posted - where you live, what you do for work, and that your kid has brain injury issues), you posted your e-mail address on the forum. Doesn't speak to being worried about your privacy and makes your whole constitutional rights BS just BS and a way to (continue) being a troll.

By eeka - Oct 17, 2007, 8:44 AM
Post #22 of 151 [In reply to]

I have never threatened you. Either show me some actual threats that came from me, not Scott or Frankie or Harry, or apologize immediately for making false accusations.

You've threatened, multiple times, to contact my professional licensing board. Obviously you wouldn't get anywhere with them, since you and I don't have a therapist-client relationship, and the board only handles matters relating to therapist-client matters. But nonetheless, this is a threat. Please stop making threats toward anyone on this board.

I have no idea why you keep bringing up your "right to privacy." This is only something that applies when you provide information to someone who is under contract to provide services to you. You have no rights whatsoever when you e-mail some random person on the internet with your full name. Or when you post on a website that you live in Norwood. Or that you hold master electrician and journeyman electrician licenses. Or that you're married to a female. Or that you have three children, two boys and a girl. Or that your son has a seizure disorder and has been treated at Children's Hospital. We know all these things because you've posted them on the internet. If you're concerned about your privacy, don't post your personal information on the internet. And especially don't e-mail it to people who you also badmouth and threaten on a regular basis. Just common sense. Why on earth you think anyone here is interested in finding your son is beyond me.

I don't want to see Adam shut the board down once more because of one person who can't take responsibility for himself. Please, for the sake of all of us, stop posting here and get yourself some help.

By Michael Kerpan - Oct 17, 2007, 10:07 AM
Post #23 of 151 [In reply to]

Adam,

Whatever you decide to do, I think we owe you a great debt of gratitude for offering a forum that (for most of its existence) has been an informative and pleasant place.

Short of introducing moderation, I'm not sure what can be done.

Even though politics is an integral part of Boston life, it does not seem that it can be dealt with civilly (or not for long).

We rarely seem to have discussions about Boston's positive features anymore.

MEK

By Gly - Oct 17, 2007, 12:06 PM
Post #24 of 151 [In reply to]

Hi! I came trolling by today to savor some delicious schadenfreude on the imminent demise of the Boston Red Sox. Perhaps it was an opportune time if the board is thinking of closing shop.

My thoughts on the board: It never reached a critical mass. I peeked in from time-to-time and saw the same few respondents over and over. It was very parochial, as it was probably meant to be, but that curtailed its interest to people outside of New England. There were some well-thought discussions on national politics (mostly mine), but these were interspersed with a mass of mud-slinging crap.

I dropped in initially because of a vision I had as Boston being the Athens of America. I thought a sizable minority of the respondents would have had some association with Harvard, MIT, Boston University, Tufts, Clark, Amherst, etc., and that that would be reflected in the discussions. Like Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca, I was misinformed.

I was also piqued from time to time by the feeble attempts of the administrator to start thread discussions by disparaging other parts of the US. ("Aren't you glad you don't live in West Virginia / Kentucky / etc.?") There must be a smugness that comes with living in New England. It is totally undeserved.

I could say more, but heeding Mark Twain's adage to "never argue with someone who buys ink by the barrel and paper by the ton", I'll leave it at that.

Hasta la vista.

By eeka - Oct 17, 2007, 12:29 PM
Post #25 of 151 [In reply to]

Gly, I think you might actually be pointing to the very problems on the board. There are a number of us on the board who are overly educated and have real-life experience to share. We used to have a lot of these types of discussions here, but most of us who met here back in the day have since moved our conversations with one another elsewhere. There's one member here in particular who has a specific agenda to harass those of us in healthcare professions. If any of us mention anything about work whatsoever, this member takes the couple of sentences we've mentioned here, puts them through his overactive imagination, and starts spouting off about how we're abusing patients and threatening to turn us in for this. Since Adam repeatedly threatens to ban him but never does, some of us prefer to keep discussions of our academic and professional lives to a minimum here.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All