Wicked Good Conference / Forum talk /

Cease & Desist

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

By Sparky - Jul 13, 2007, 6:20 PM
Post #1 of 46

Today private information about me was revealed on this site without my permission, expressed or otherwise. In fact it appears in spite of language from the site upon registering.

This follows a few weeks of subtle hints from various members about the same information.

CEASE & DESISTS from spreading any further information about me immediately.

Remove any posts revealing such information immediately.

This is the SECOND time this member has revealed private information about other members here at WGC against their wishes.

Beyond that I'm considering a restraining order against said individual, and whether to forward a disturbing e-mail sent to me from her months ago to her licensing board.

Nuff said.

Register or log in to reply

Re: Cease & Desist

By Jodie - Jul 13, 2007, 7:06 PM
Post #2 of 46 [In reply to]

Sparky, you've freely given enough information about yourself that you can be found on the internet. No one had to print your first name on here to do it. You've said the town you live in and your occupation, which is licensed and searchable by town. You've even mentioned the level of license you have. Perhaps a line was crossed, but I think you've lulled yourself into a false sense of security on the internet. For about $20, anyone can find out all your public info. It's a scary world we live in, but you might want to take a little personal responsibility for yourself. You didn't have to volunteer your town of residence, city of birth and occupation.

By Sparky - Jul 13, 2007, 7:14 PM
Post #3 of 46 [In reply to]

In Reply To
Sparky, you've freely given enough information about yourself that you can be found on the internet. No one had to print your first name on here to do it. You've said the town you live in and your occupation, which is licensed and searchable by town. You've even mentioned the level of license you have. Perhaps a line was crossed, but I think you've lulled yourself into a false sense of security on the internet. For about $20, anyone can find out all your public info. It's a scary world we live in, but you might want to take a little personal responsibility for yourself. You didn't have to volunteer your town of residence, city of birth and occupation.

Nope, I not buying in to that.

I never have used that information anywhere on the internet that she used today.

Again I'm the second person here she has done this to here, of the EXACT same nature.

If you are saying she is cyber stalking me, I accept that as a possibility.

Nobody has the right here to KNOWINGLY reveal personal information about another member here without their permission. PERIOD!

By Jodie - Jul 13, 2007, 7:27 PM
Post #4 of 46 [In reply to]

Dude, you posted the other day in this forum most of the states you've lived in. You've told us where you were born. You've implyed that you practice your trade independently, which means a certain level of license. You've told us your town of residence multiple times. You've mentioned your ethnic background. You've given us enough information about your life status to make an educated guess at your age. All of this information makes quite possible to determine your identity through perfectly legal means.

You go fishing in my neighborhood. Maybe I should take out a restraining order against you.

By Sparky - Jul 13, 2007, 7:40 PM
Post #5 of 46 [In reply to]

In Reply To
Dude, you posted the other day in this forum most of the states you've lived in. You've told us where you were born. You've implyed that you practice your trade independently, which means a certain level of license. You've told us your town of residence multiple times. You've mentioned your ethnic background. You've given us enough information about your life status to make an educated guess at your age. All of this information makes quite possible to determine your identity through perfectly legal means.

You go fishing in my neighborhood. Maybe I should take out a restraining order against you.

That's your right if you feel compelled to do so. In my case she KNOWS my name and HAS sent me a violent e-mail which I have a copy of.

I KNOW for a FACT that I've never have sent one to you or anyone here or anywhere else. EVER!

Contrary to popular belief I have met four other members here, without revealing any personal info (name, address, etc) they are free to say so if they would like to. This I give permission for.

At no time have I ever given anyone permission to DISCLOSE any other information.

The bottom line is this, even if she lived right next door to me, she doesn't have the right to reveal personal information about me without my permission.

By sonia2 - Jul 13, 2007, 7:41 PM
Post #6 of 46 [In reply to]

In Reply To
Today private information about me was revealed on this site without my permission, expressed or otherwise. In fact it appears in spite of language from the site upon registering.

This follows a few weeks of subtle hints from various members about the same information.

This is the SECOND time this member has revealed private information about other members here at WGC against their wishes.

Beyond that I'm considering a restraining order against said individual, and whether to forward a disturbing e-mail sent to me from her months ago to her licensing board.

Nuff said.

huh. you don't like when information about you is posted online? funny - you were happy to post information about people I know here, when I had purposely NOT put that here.
You don't care about respecting the privacy of others but then threaten to get a restraining order against someone when they use your first name?

By Sparky - Jul 13, 2007, 7:59 PM
Post #7 of 46 [In reply to]

In Reply To

In Reply To

Nuff said.

huh. you don't like when information about you is posted online? funny - you were happy to post information about people I know here, when I had purposely NOT put that here.
You don't care about respecting the privacy of others but then threaten to get a restraining order against someone when they use your first name?

It appears you have removed the following:

"restraining orders are for people you've lived with, or had a relationship with, not people who call you by your first name."

With all due respect, you don't have all the facts before you. Nor would I be so dumb as to debate you in this matter.

November 1978 ~ Democrats drinking the Kool-Aid ~ November 2008

"Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem"

"Don't Blame Me, I Voted For Sarah"

By Jodie - Jul 13, 2007, 8:01 PM
Post #8 of 46 [In reply to]

Out of curiosity, what would getting a restraining order against said individual accomplish? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't stop this person from posting here- I believe you'd have to be the one to stay away.

By Jodie - Jul 13, 2007, 8:47 PM
Post #9 of 46 [In reply to]

In Reply To

I just went and looked at what the registration page says; the information that was disclosed is not something that was asked for at registration. There's not even a field for it. So, what were you asking about...?

It's not against the law for people to annoy you. And when else did said person reveal information about another member?

By Sparky - Jul 13, 2007, 9:01 PM
Post #10 of 46 [In reply to]

In Reply To
Out of curiosity, what would getting a restraining order against said individual accomplish? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't stop this person from posting here- I believe you'd have to be the one to stay away.

It is pretty much a case of self preservation at this point, in the real world. I think anytime somebody demonstrates a lack of boundaries toward another citizen's privacy and their legal rights, that's a MAJOR problem, couple that with a threatening e-mail, I think it is time to act in one's own interest.

I think the legal system, employers, others need to know when they are dealing with folks that don't respect folk's rights.

Again all one has to do is read the agreement about personal information when one registers here.

I did not reveal the information, I did not authorize the information to be released. Yet it appears here as I write. Still.

I'm the second person the violator has done this to. I suspect she revealed yet a third while using a sock puppet, just my opinon there though.

There is no legal upside to let my private information used at registration to remain public, only bad imho.

You can argue all you want, for all night long if you so chose, my guess is you would not stand for one minute to have any other member sending you a threatening e-mail, then releasing private information here.

I think the answer is simple, remove the offending content. How hard is that? My car was already tagged once, I'm not going to allow a second instance to follow without publically stating the facts.

My guess is you've already received a forwarded copy of the e-mail, how would you like to receive that?

By Jodie - Jul 13, 2007, 9:17 PM
Post #11 of 46 [In reply to]

No, I haven't. And for what's it's worth, Adam hasn't appeared to have been on the forum since you posted your request, so don't go blaming him for anything. He does do things other than monitor the Wicked Good Conference.

Read up on what it takes to get a restraining order- I think you'll have a hard time getting one based on one email that's not recent with no follow-up threats or acts or anything of the sort. Saying your first name online isn't illegal (and was not accompanied by anything remotely resembling a threat), as much as you dislike it. Even posting your full name, address, license number and a video camera of your whereabouts not including sound wouldn't be illegal. As a legal matter, it would be protected under the first amendment. As far as for what Adam is willing to tolerate on his forum- that's up to him. I would hope he wouldn't tolerate that, and I doubt he would.

Privacy on the internet isn't anyone's right. If you own a home, your name and address are public record. Ditto for registering to vote, having utilities, obtaining a professional license, obtaining a driver's license, owning a car, being born... the list goes on. Yep, she did something you don't like. It did not violate your rights or your privacy in any legal sense.

Even people in said poster's profession are allowed to be annoying.

By Dave - Jul 13, 2007, 9:25 PM
Post #12 of 46 [In reply to]

In Reply To
No, I haven't. And for what's it's worth, Adam hasn't appeared to have been on the forum since you posted your request, so don't go blaming him for anything. He does do things other than monitor the Wicked Good Conference.

I interpreted Sparky's call for removal of the offending article to be directed at the poster, not Adam.

By Sparky - Jul 13, 2007, 9:30 PM
Post #13 of 46 [In reply to]

Jodie, why don't you, if you honestly believe the crap you are posting here tonight, provide us your full name, address, phone #, etc. Have your buds do the same. Sonia you too.

By Jodie - Jul 13, 2007, 9:32 PM
Post #14 of 46 [In reply to]

I thought that one can't delete or edit their own posts after an hour or two passes? At any rate, said poster isn't online, either.

By Sparky - Jul 13, 2007, 9:33 PM
Post #15 of 46 [In reply to]

Thanks Dave, you would be correct.

By Jodie - Jul 13, 2007, 9:35 PM
Post #16 of 46 [In reply to]

You can easily come up with all that information based on what you know about me. Jodie is my given first name. I'd prefer not to have my contact information posted here, but go ahead and do a quick google and dpl search. You'll probably find it all.

By Sparky - Jul 13, 2007, 9:45 PM
Post #17 of 46 [In reply to]

In Reply To
You can easily come up with all that information based on what you know about me. Jodie is my given first name. I'd prefer not to have my contact information posted here, but go ahead and do a quick google and dpl search. You'll probably find it all.

This is kinda like a "Post it or shut up" moment.

So if I feel like it, you don't mind if I post any information about you that I might find around the internet, other public records, etc, if I choose? Or others fitting your profile regardless of name?

Actually what you are defending is my right to do so no matter what you say, right?

Again why not prove your point and reveal the requested information by posting it tonight?

You are not going to complain if I decide to prove my point?

By Jodie - Jul 13, 2007, 9:51 PM
Post #18 of 46 [In reply to]

If you do said search, you'll find my email address as well. You can email it to me.

No, I don't want my address, email address, license number or phone number posted here. I do think that people should have to work at it to find it, but I don't live under the delusion that I'm anonymous. If you do post it, there's not much I can do. If you show up on my doorstep, bear in mind the Bourne Police Station is only 1 mile away and I will call them.

I just gave away more info for free!

By Sparky - Jul 13, 2007, 9:56 PM
Post #19 of 46 [In reply to]

So really you're just whistling Dixie.

As far as showing up at your door, I certainly will not, but at the same time would have no liability if somebody else did, right? According to your way of thinking, right?

By Jodie - Jul 13, 2007, 9:58 PM
Post #20 of 46 [In reply to]

Why would you have any liability? If you posted my address here you'd be an asshole, but you wouldn't be liable any more than the town hall would be.

By Jodie - Jul 13, 2007, 10:02 PM
Post #21 of 46 [In reply to]

To prove I'm not whisling dixie, I'll make a nifty banner for the first person who does not already know my full name to find my name, address and phone number and email it to me. You'll have to find the email address too. It's out there.

Posting said information here would not be cool or okay by me. You want it, you gotta work for it.

By Sparky - Jul 13, 2007, 10:13 PM
Post #22 of 46 [In reply to]

In Reply To
Posting said information here would not be cool or okay by me.

So you're full of shit really.

You're defending members here revealing information that a) you won't disclose yourself, b) you don't want disclosed by them, c) & are counting on the adults here to act as adults.

By Jodie - Jul 13, 2007, 10:16 PM
Post #23 of 46 [In reply to]

Nobody has disclosed your full name, email address, phone number or home address here as far as I can tell. Just your first name, which can be found by searching the DPL based on information you've personally provided on this forum.

By Sparky - Jul 13, 2007, 10:19 PM
Post #24 of 46 [In reply to]

In Reply To
Why would you have any liability? If you posted my address here you'd be an asshole, but you wouldn't be liable any more than the town hall would be.

So you're saying Eeka is an asshole?

Not the same as townhall.

More like using a supermarket and providing them with private information to cash checks, etc.

Then one day you walk in and read all that private information on their BB, yeah there is a liability there. Perhaps you're not worldly enough to understand it, but it is there.

Are you honestly stating that if somebody posted your information here, without your consent, then harm, physical or by other means, came to you as a direct result of that information, that there wouldn't be liability? Are you serious?

November 1978 ~ Democrats drinking the Kool-Aid ~ November 2008

"Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem"

"Don't Blame Me, I Voted For Sarah"

By Sparky - Jul 13, 2007, 10:23 PM
Post #25 of 46 [In reply to]

In Reply To
Nobody has disclosed your full name, email address, phone number or home address here as far as I can tell. Just your first name, which can be found by searching the DPL based on information you've personally provided on this forum.

No No No!

There is no way anyone could have PROVEN my name before that post. There have been other hints the last few weeks, that remained hints, but this crossed a legal line. It has to be remove immediately.
I wouldn't bet my house on not removing it, if I had liability in the matter.

Business 101.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All