Wicked Good Conference / Boston /

Columbus Avenue Universalist Church

By Rev. D. Chalecki darienchal@snet.net - Aug 22, 2003, 9:59 PM
Post #1 of 4

Recently I found a picture of Columbus Ave Universalist Church in an old book. It was referenced at "Dr. Miner's Church". Where might I find other pictures of the fine Gothic structure?? and what happened to it?

Register or log in to reply

Re: Columbus Avenue Universalist Church

By Ron Newman - Aug 22, 2003, 10:29 PM
Post #2 of 4 [In reply to]

I don't know the answer to these questions, but the South End Historical Society might.

By Harry Burton - Aug 22, 2003, 11:13 PM
Post #3 of 4 [In reply to]

In Reply To
Recently I found a picture of Columbus Ave Universalist Church in an old book. It was referenced at "Dr. Miner's Church". Where might I find other pictures of the fine Gothic structure?? and what happened to it?

Reverend, try these two links. Many pictures
of buildings in cities throughout the
United States at the turn of the century,
and later. Good Luck

Photos

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/pp/pphome.html

By HTP - Aug 25, 2003, 10:39 AM
Post #4 of 4 [In reply to]

What happened to it is basically the story of the South End--initially the neighborhood attracted lots of prosperous Protestant families to its new, bow-fronted brick houses and many congregations followed the migration to the South End and built new church buildings there. Within a few decades the South End had lost its cachet and many of the church buildings were sold to new congregations. The church you're asking about, built in 1872, is still there at Columbus Ave and W. Newton Street, but no longer Universalist or Unitarian. It is now the Union United Methodist Church. My A.I.A. Guide to Boston compares the architecture to other Gothic churches of the period around Boston, including the Church of Our Saviour in Brookline and Emmanuel Church on Newbury Street.