Wicked Good Conference / Boston /

Relocation to Boston

By dc8 - Jun 10, 2007, 10:06 PM
Post #1 of 6

OK folks, I know you've seen dozens of these but I'll throw it here anyways. I'm heading to Boston the weekend of June 14-17th to check it out for the first time. I'm being asked to relocate there (from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) and I'm intrigued but not sold. I have 2 young girls (4 & 2) and a stay at home wife. Office would be downtown, I hear near the north station. We are not sure to buy or rent at this time. IF we bought our budget would be in the $400k - $450k range, if we rent, perhaps $2000/mth. We'd want a single family regardless. So forum readers...any suggestions on the following:

a) Where should we look this weekend in terms of towns/neighborhoods?
b) Any must do's for a rare weekend away without the kids in downtown Boston?
c) Any suggestions on realtors who could provide some assistance in looking at houses for rent/sale?
d) Would I need a car to do this there? Seems a waste to pay the parking at the Onyx $38 a day.

Thanks!!!!
DC in Edmonton (maybe soon Boston)

Register or log in to reply

Re: Relocation to Boston

By AmandaPG - Jun 10, 2007, 10:17 PM
Post #2 of 6 [In reply to]

c) Look on Craigslist in the apt/housing posts, but search in "by-owner" or "no-broker" only. You save a ton of money and you can find really cute places if you decide to do an apartment. Skip the whole realtor step if you can. Wink

"I don't know if don ever tossed a salad.but I have many times in a bowl of course." --Fred "Rock Star" Sennott

By adamg - Jun 10, 2007, 11:12 PM
Post #3 of 6 [In reply to]

Welcome (possibly) to Boston!

If the job is near North Station, you can look at any of the towns served by the MBTA's commuter rail out of there.

Medford might be a possibility. Salem's a bit farther out, but is a cool place. But for $450,000 or so, you're probably looking at a condo (a decent condo, but still), unless you either want to consider some place fairly far away or some relatively undiscovered part of Boston, such as Hyde Park, Readville or parts of Roslindale (on the plus side, they tend to be fairly family friendly). Maybe the south side of Waltham.

As a Boston resident with a kid myself, I can't decide whether to recommend you look in the city, because getting your kid into a good public school here will take a lot of work. In fact, for the 4-year-old, you might already be too late for the lottery you have to enter for kindergarten - which means you might have a harder time getting him/her into a decent elementary school, since kids in a kindergarten get automatic assignment there for first grade.

The only recommendation I could make for a broker is the one we used to find our place in Roslindale - if you do get to that point, let me know and I'll post her name.

As for what to do sans kids, dinner in the North End can be very romantic - ask the concierge for a recommendation, or just wander down Hanover and its side streets until you find a place that looks interesting.

You won't need a car here - although be aware that if you go far from your hotel, public transportation shuts down at 12:30 or so.

By eeka - Jun 11, 2007, 10:03 AM
Post #4 of 6 [In reply to]

In Reply To
c) Look on Craigslist in the apt/housing posts, but search in "by-owner" or "no-broker" only. You save a ton of money and you can find really cute places if you decide to do an apartment. Skip the whole realtor step if you can. Wink

I know that when I shop for homes, my top priority is whether the place is cute.

By sonia2 - Aug 9, 2007, 10:19 AM
Post #5 of 6 [In reply to]

In Reply To
We are not sure to buy or rent at this time. IF we bought our budget would be in the $400k - $450k range,

This project (the picture is of the property before renovations) developed a number of condos in Newton, they were listed at 639k, then the market tanked, were reduced to 539k, and they're still not selling, so are soon to be listed at just under 500k. It's a bit more than you mentioned wanting to spend, but it is in Newton (which has a commuter rail, and excellent schools). It's a brand new construction - there was some historical preservation of the outside of the building - but the inside was gutted & is brand new.. Just FYI

By JaneStewart - Nov 9, 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #6 of 6 [In reply to]

Hi Dc8,

Congratulation on your move to Boston. You're going to love it there, it's a great city. I lived in Boston for 14 years. Based on your budget, I'd recommend looking in Brookline. It's just outside of Boston for a short commute by car or public transportation. Its a safe neighborhood with a good school system. My very good friend Jon lived there for years and knows the community very well and he is now a Real Estate broker. His website lets you search properties near Boston by entering your price range, and then you could go in and see him; he is very good. The website is www.lrgboston.com, which specializes in Boston luxury condos but also has excellent listings of various price ranges in the area.

Stewart

In Reply To
OK folks, I know you've seen dozens of these but I'll throw it here anyways. I'm heading to Boston the weekend of June 14-17th to check it out for the first time. I'm being asked to relocate there (from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) and I'm intrigued but not sold. I have 2 young girls (4 & 2) and a stay at home wife. Office would be downtown, I hear near the north station. We are not sure to buy or rent at this time. IF we bought our budget would be in the $400k - $450k range, if we rent, perhaps $2000/mth. We'd want a single family regardless. So forum readers...any suggestions on the following:

a) Where should we look this weekend in terms of towns/neighborhoods?
b) Any must do's for a rare weekend away without the kids in downtown Boston?
c) Any suggestions on realtors who could provide some assistance in looking at houses for rent/sale?
d) Would I need a car to do this there? Seems a waste to pay the parking at the Onyx $38 a day.

Thanks!!!!
DC in Edmonton (maybe soon Boston)