Wicked Good Conference / Boston /

Camping in Plymouth

By Sparky - May 30, 2006, 8:11 PM
Post #1 of 8

Took a hike through the old campground I used to "summer" at, Camp Harrison Child in Plymouth the other day.

Register or log in to reply

Attachments: Great Outdoors 1.jpg (21.5 KB)   Great Outdoors II.jpg (38.1 KB)   Ah, Camping.jpg (19.2 KB)

Re: Camping in Plymouth

By Sparky - May 30, 2006, 8:25 PM
Post #2 of 8 [In reply to]

Attachments: Oh Sh.jpg (50.5 KB)   Tipped Latrine 2.jpg (28.6 KB)   Beans gone bad.jpg (29.4 KB)

By thsk - Sep 15, 2009, 1:33 PM
Post #3 of 8 [In reply to]

Harrison H Child Scout Reservation on Morey's Hole
Sold in 1995 by the Old Colony Council, Boy Scouts of America, Canton, Massachusetts. The property has now been devastated by a residential developer.

Sparky,
Looks like you hiked from the BDL cabin over the channel to Briggs via the aluminum foot bridge up into Wood Campsite & on... Is that the Wood site latrine that was vandalized, Bird or Andrews?

I also plan to hike some areas there in the Fall foliage. Worked on the staff for ten years and was also the Program Director there. So, I know the area well.

Take care!
-Bob

By Sparky - Oct 17, 2009, 4:33 PM
Post #4 of 8 [In reply to]

In Reply To
Harrison H Child Scout Reservation on Morey's Hole
Sold in 1995 by the Old Colony Council, Boy Scouts of America, Canton, Massachusetts. The property has now been devastated by a residential developer.

Sparky,
Looks like you hiked from the BDL cabin over the channel to Briggs via the aluminum foot bridge up into Wood Campsite & on... Is that the Wood site latrine that was vandalized, Bird or Andrews?

I also plan to hike some areas there in the Fall foliage. Worked on the staff for ten years and was also the Program Director there. So, I know the area well.

Take care!
-Bob

Hi Bob,

You're hurting my memory banks here! Where's the BDL cabin, is that the winter cabin on the other side of the Hole from the Chow Hall? What does BDL mean? I think we just called it "The Cabin", spent a few winter weekends there in 76 - 78 with Dick "Ducky" Meadow's Post.

What I did was enter from Ship Pond Rd from 3A and before you reach the old parking lot there's a small parking spot now for one or two cars (on the right) and it had a sign saying there was a common walking path, you skirt behind some of the new housing and finally enter the old camp from a new street Bayden Path - you can see the narrow right of way on Google Maps. I had a little hassle from one of the homeowners demanding to know who I was, etc.

That path takes you down a road between the old bogs & the Camp, which I followed and stumbled across "my" Bird Point. I love that spot! I imagine that must have been the road ol' Terry must have taken when he brought our chow ( & Bug Juice) out to us.

The latrine was from Bird if I recall correctly or the one right before it (was that Wood?).

So many memories of Bird Point, I was there two or three summers in the early seventies - remember listening to ONJ sing "I Honestly Love You" a million times from all the camp radios.

By Dave - Oct 21, 2009, 5:10 PM
Post #5 of 8 [In reply to]

Sparky, was the latrine in that condition before you ate all those beans?

By Fred Sennott - Oct 21, 2009, 9:10 PM
Post #6 of 8 [In reply to]

I'll bet it wasn't.
Trust in God and sin not.Don't blame me I'm like Sparky I voted for Sarah to.

By Mike in TX - Oct 23, 2009, 8:13 PM
Post #7 of 8 [In reply to]

remember listening to ONJ sing "I Honestly Love You" a million times from all the camp radios.

Hey Sparkster, how you been?

What the hell kind of camp was this????
Sigs are overrated.

By thsk - Dec 28, 2009, 4:37 PM
Post #8 of 8 [In reply to]

Hey Sparky..!!!

I started working on the camp staff in 1975. Were you ever on the staff?

See: http://www.i-fubar.com/chhc/index.php

BDL = Ben Dan Lou.. The cabin and its campsite were on the South side of the channel to Briggs and Wood was on the North. Yes, we used the BDL cabin a lot for off season camping. It has a very strange looking fireplace in it. The cabin itself is built into the side of the hill... if you stand at the rear of it you can almost step onto the roof.

From BDL, over the channel, the campsites ran... Wood, Bird, Andrews and MacKellar. Andrews was converted into the rifle range. We later added the archery range next to it. MacKellar was the one above the chapel.

BTW: The road you hiked is legal... it is the old "Manomet Ponds Road", The town refers to it as, "Old Ponds Road". They moved the right-a-way a bit to build the Bayden Path part of the development. We always had to keep that road open for the general public... and a few people did use it. However, just like the "fishermen's access" on Morey's Hole we did not post any big signs advertising it. If you stay on the road as it is now defined, no home owners have any right to throw you out.

The road between the bogs and the old camp is also public. It was called "Last Chance Farm Road", now it is "Savory Road".

The name Dick "Ducky" Meadows does ring a bell with me. What troop were you with?

Check out: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=36851759670

I took the liberty to borrow one of your photos. Wink

Take care!
-Bob