Wicked Good Conference / Boston /

Jordans furniture

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

By ladytravel - Dec 16, 2005, 4:36 PM
Post #1 of 256

Jordans Furniture.

The history of Jordans furniture in the boston area
is legend . eliot and barry started working for there dad in the old store in waltham . This was the dying end of moody street .grover cronin and others were going out.
They came up with a novel idea. The big player at the time in furniture sales was Jordan Marsh .
These pt barnum guys thought let's name our store jordans and hope people are confused and come in our store instead .it worked ,and for a while jordan Marsh didn't stop them.joking and jabbing all the way.
when they started there legendary annoying radio ads. Jordan Marsh sued and won! the judgement made them use a disclaimer in there radio ads "not to be confused with jordan marsh" . pretty soon they started to play this court ordered disclaimer to there benifit . mocking the disclaimer and belittling Jordan Marsh . over the years more and more furnitue stores went out of bankrupt and Jordans Futniture gained market share . There plan has always been to just get you in the store . There cult like selling style
will then take over . you will be trapped in caverns of furniture traps, with your exit blocked. all the time told there will be no sales here because we have under prices . when all is said and done you will buy a mattress for over a thousand dollars and you will think you got a good deal. you will never read a honest review of this store because these guys spend so much money on advertising that no TV station, newspaper or magazine will go near the story.well eliot and Barry knew the ride was over and sold out for one hundred millon dollars each . but they love to annoy sooo much they stayed on as spokesmen as part of the deal . well Ikea has now entered the market place and I think the party over.
It's hard to get people to buy the same sofa for four times the price with your competitor next door.
but if you get lured in with the cotton candy and carnival barkers you will buy a mattress for a thousand dollars and think you got a deal.

Register or log in to reply

Re: Jordans furniture

By adamg - Dec 16, 2005, 5:46 PM
Post #2 of 256 [In reply to]

Ooh, rich ranty goodness! A shame you don't know what you're talking about, at least when it comes to the history of the place. The Jordan's name predates Barry and Eliot (their grandfather started the place in 1918, although I don't know if he originally called it Jordan's) - and that it only became an issue when they started advertising in an attempt to get more traffic to their original Moody Street store (back when Moody Street had several furniture stores).

One thing I've long wondered about: Boston Online has pages for both Jordan's and Bernie & Phyl's. The former has exactly one comment (from somebody who likes the Natick store); the latter has 102 comments, most from people who seem to regret having shopped there. In fact, the single most common search term used by people who wind up on Boston Online is not travel or hotels or tourism or anything like that but "Bernie & Phyl's."

Why is that? Have the Jordan's boys managed to blackmail all of New England into silence?

Disclaimer: When we needed a new mattress and box spring for us and a new bed for our daughter, we looked at both Bernie & Phyl's and Jordan's. We went with Jordan's because they had a better selection of children's beds (specifically, one we all liked) and their mattress prices were comparable. We bought 'em from the Natick store and yes, the Mardi Gras thing is a big gimmick, but it was still fun. At no time did any big burly men with bulging biceps (or even puny "Sleep Technicians" in silly lab coats) try to block our entrance and we never once felt lost or trapped. I don't remember what we paid for the mattress and box spring, but it was nowhere near $1,000.

By Dave - Dec 16, 2005, 7:58 PM
Post #3 of 256 [In reply to]

In Reply To
Jordans Furniture.

The history of Jordans furniture in the boston area
is legend . eliot and barry started working for there dad in the old store in waltham . This was the dying end of moody street .grover cronin and others were going out.
They came up with a novel idea. The big player at the time in furniture sales was Jordan Marsh .
These pt barnum guys thought let's name our store jordans and hope people are confused and come in our store instead .it worked ,and for a while jordan Marsh didn't stop them.joking and jabbing all the way.
when they started there legendary annoying radio ads. Jordan Marsh sued and won! the judgement made them use a disclaimer in there radio ads "not to be confused with jordan marsh" . pretty soon they started to play this court ordered disclaimer to there benifit . mocking the disclaimer and belittling Jordan Marsh . over the years more and more furnitue stores went out of bankrupt and Jordans Futniture gained market share . There plan has always been to just get you in the store . There cult like selling style
will then take over . you will be trapped in caverns of furniture traps, with your exit blocked. all the time told there will be no sales here because we have under prices . when all is said and done you will buy a mattress for over a thousand dollars and you will think you got a good deal. you will never read a honest review of this store because these guys spend so much money on advertising that no TV station, newspaper or magazine will go near the story.well eliot and Barry knew the ride was over and sold out for one hundred millon dollars each . but they love to annoy sooo much they stayed on as spokesmen as part of the deal . well Ikea has now entered the market place and I think the party over.
It's hard to get people to buy the same sofa for four times the price with your competitor next door.
but if you get lured in with the cotton candy and carnival barkers you will buy a mattress for a thousand dollars and think you got a deal.

Hi Phyl!

By greenlinedog - Dec 16, 2005, 8:28 PM
Post #4 of 256 [In reply to]

In Reply To
One thing I've long wondered about: Boston Online has pages for both Jordan's and Bernie & Phyl's. The former has exactly one comment (from somebody who likes the Natick store); the latter has 102 comments, most from people who seem to regret having shopped there. In fact, the single most common search term used by people who wind up on Boston Online is not travel or hotels or tourism or anything like that but "Bernie & Phyl's."

Why is that?

Boston Online is number 2 on google for bernie & phyls (not phyl's) but not on the first page for jordan's furniture. You should be able to monetize your b&p page. Oh, look out, a pack of 90's buzzword wolves are coming after meeeeeee!

By ladytravel - Dec 16, 2005, 8:42 PM
Post #5 of 256 [In reply to]

well you seem to know a lot of the history of Jordans furniture. were you aware that they got sued by Jordan Marsh for tradmark infringement . I have nothing to do with phyls and prefer Ikea. You can't tell me there prices are resonable . The store is one giant sales trap. As I have said before channel 5 boston mag , boston globe have let these guys get away with ripping off the consumer for years. where is hank phillpie ryan / susan wornick .... there in the tank thats where... these guys spend so much on advetising that they can do what they want . and they have got away with it for years . I am a expert on home theatre and there bose /system is the most overpriced joke
you could spend 20% of what they want for a home theatre system and have a better one . don't belive me, just go to the forum avs science and see how overpriced and poorley rated there systems are .

When you try to go to the
the theatre in natick how many twists and turns do you take
through the traps in the store with salesman all
around you . The store is one big giant blind item sales trap. you feel you got your money worth well good for you .There dog and pony show worked

By Neal - Dec 16, 2005, 8:51 PM
Post #6 of 256 [In reply to]

Where dog and pony show? (sorry folks, I had to do it)

I've been to the theatre at the Jordan's in Natick and I was never trapped or forced to buy furniture. As a matter of fact, I don't even think I saw one salesperson.

By ladytravel - Dec 16, 2005, 9:13 PM
Post #7 of 256 [In reply to]

I remeber I was in the waltham store once, and I entered a room ...there was a very narrow entrance when I got to the back a salesman appeared and he started to work at a stand up desk it had a little door he could filp down and this complealty sealed off my exit he then pretended to be at work. I had to ask him to open the gate to let me out . I am not stupid, car dealerships have done this crap for years . some of the route 1 guys use to park your car somewhere where you couldn't find it . then put the hard close on you. ..... Please define the term underprice to me. It"S all smoke and mirrors

By Fred Sennott - Dec 16, 2005, 9:15 PM
Post #8 of 256 [In reply to]

I'm not particularly a big fan of either Bernie and Phyl or the Jordan Bros,but they have grown over the years and currently dominate the local furniture market.I predict that they will be here long after Ikea outwears its welcome and either rents out half their store to Target or WalMart or shuts it down completely.Incidently I remember when they had the one store in Waltham before TV and it was called Jordans then.I never bought any furniture from either concern,But we have a couch Fred3 bought as a Christmas gift from Jordans and have had no complainmts about it in 15 years.
Trust in God and sin not.Don't blame me I'm like Sparky I voted for Sarah to.

By adamg - Dec 16, 2005, 9:37 PM
Post #9 of 256 [In reply to]

You, too, can read up on the history of Jordan's:

http://www.jordans.com/about/history.asp

As for the trademark suit, yeah, so? Jordan's had to add a disclaimer, and they did, and now they're no longer confused with Jordan Marsh because Jordan Marsh no longer exists.

As for dog and pony shows, it was actually hard for us to *find* a salesman. We didn't go to Natick to see a movie. We went to look at beds. And they were pretty easy to find.

As for home theatre systems, OK, why are you buying home theatre systems at a furniture store? That's why God gave us Tweeter. But sounds like your problem is with Bose, so complain about them.

By ladytravel - Dec 16, 2005, 9:41 PM
Post #10 of 256 [In reply to]

I wouldn't be so quick to think that Ikea will fail .He is the 5 richest man in the world. and will show new england what the word "underprice" realy means.
I have not been in the Ikea store here but I first went to the one in N.J and Jordans old school blind pricing
is going to be challenged big time you can go to there catalog and price everything before you even walk in the store. You don't have to talk to salesman at all. even the style of the furniture seems to fit the first time furniture buyer better. I think the consumer wins . It's great we will have a choice finally. Jordans furniture has been insulting us with stupid ads, fast talking sales , gimmick after gimmick for thirty years.

By Denise - Dec 16, 2005, 9:43 PM
Post #11 of 256 [In reply to]

Wow, im surprised! this thread has taken on the same heat of the debate of Dunkins vs. Starbucks.

By Dave - Dec 16, 2005, 11:57 PM
Post #12 of 256 [In reply to]

I concur with Neal. I've been to a few Jordan's stores and have never felt like I was being pressured to buy. I've also had similar experiences with Bernie and Phyl's, Bob's and Bassett.

When I used to go to Levitz and its predecessor in Dedham, J. Homestock, clipboard-wielding salesvultures would be all over you before you were even all the way through the door.

By ladytravel - Dec 17, 2005, 7:55 AM
Post #13 of 256 [In reply to]

Did you ever see the "free movie" they show you in the home theatre dept in natick . they have a card that reads next showing of the "free movie" will be @ 3:15. a greeter comes out and ushers the crowd into the theatre to see the "free movie" he talks a little bit before the "free movie" starts. Then you find out there is no movie , and you are trapped in the dark for a fifteen minute commerical . they even tell you not to leave in the middle of the "free movie" when the "free movie ends you are hereded into the closing room for the overpriced home theatre"s. sales pitch . I always feel like
its a cult type pitch in there store's .sleep technicians, dressed up to look like doctors everthing is one giant trick in there stores .
but don't worry folks it's all
"unerpriced" what the hell does that mean under what. It's like The wizard Of Oz @ the end of the movie "pay no attention to that man behind the curtin"

By triquetra - Dec 17, 2005, 9:29 AM
Post #14 of 256 [In reply to]

I always feel like
its a cult type pitch in there store's .

Er...then why do you keep going back?
*~*~*~*
Luceo non uro

By ladytravel - Dec 17, 2005, 10:02 AM
Post #15 of 256 [In reply to]

well: the first commercials I remember as a kid I was working in restaurants there was always a radio in the kitchen, all day long every hour on the hour eliot and barry with another stupid " jodans furniture waltham " not to be confused with Jordan Marsh
commercial . after thousands of hour of this constant brain washing.

underprices... underprices...underprices

I must have started to want to drink the kool Aid.
There I was at the mother church in Natick,
nervously but inexplicibly drawn in
underprices....underprices...underprices

I noticed there were others that felt the same destiny

underprices....underprices...underprices

before I knew what was happning, I was watching the free movie and wanted to know more about the medical staff on hand , In the "white Jackets" that could help me with my sleep health .
I have never felt so safe and loved.
I even thought 25.95 for the medium fried clams at the kellys, at jordans furniture was a good deal.
underprices...underprices...underprices
I thought I saw the same bose system for 50% less at best buy .

just keep thinking

undreprices...underprices...underprices

By adamg - Dec 17, 2005, 10:59 AM
Post #16 of 256 [In reply to]

Thanks. Now I can't get "You'll love it at Levitz" out of my brain! But you're right - if you managed to get through their entrance, which seemed to take you through the warehouse.

Oh, for the record, when we went to Bernie & Phyl's in Westborough, we didn't feel pressured, either.

By adamg - Dec 17, 2005, 11:06 AM
Post #17 of 256 [In reply to]

What a shocker! You know, that reminds me of the times we took the tours at the Cape Cod Potato Chip factory and the Vermont Teddy Bear factory - in both cases, we ended up in their store. The bastards - they wanted us to buy their stuff!

Um, did anybody force you to see the movie? Why is it such a surprise that a "free" movie at a furniture store might basically be an ad for that furniture store?

But why do I feel like I'm in a discussion with an impish MIT student conducting research on the social dynamics of online forums?

By Jodie - Dec 17, 2005, 11:20 AM
Post #18 of 256 [In reply to]

But you do get free potato chips when you finish the Cape Cod Potato Chip Factory tour.

By eeka - Dec 17, 2005, 11:25 AM
Post #19 of 256 [In reply to]

Fred, do you have any idea what you're talking about? IKEA is a chain, yes, but I wouldn't put it up there with Target and Walmart. IKEA is frequently lauded for giving good benefits, treating employees well, and standing behind their products. Totally different kind of business from Target and Walmart.

Poke around in business magazines for profiles of the various businesses, or just google on the internet and find communities of IKEA employees who talk about how much fun they have at work and what cool products they just got and how they want to be a manager, and communities of Target and Walmart (especially Walmart) employees talking about how terribly they're treated and how much they hate the place.

By adamg - Dec 17, 2005, 11:29 AM
Post #20 of 256 [In reply to]

In Reply To
But you do get free potato chips when you finish the Cape Cod Potato Chip Factory tour.

Ah, maybe that's the problem - she was expecting a free couch! :-).

By ladytravel - Dec 17, 2005, 11:37 AM
Post #21 of 256 [In reply to]

gee; impish
eliot and barry have been smirking and jabbing for thirty years . and Jordon Marsh was founded in the in 1891, so they did infrindge on the trademark. whether it was there father or grandfather . There latest bit is to take the latest creativity of a top commercial and parody it. but just enough so that they get away with It legaly without being copyright infridgement ,they can surf on all the power of this commercial, or hit show with out any creative work of their own

By Sparky - Dec 17, 2005, 11:38 AM
Post #22 of 256 [In reply to]

In Reply To
I've been to the theatre at the Jordan's in Natick and I was never trapped or forced to buy furniture. As a matter of fact, I don't even think I saw one salesperson.

Same here @ their Avon store, I didn't feel trapped and couldn't find a salesman, this being a few years back. That said I thought their prices were very high & finally found what I was looking for @ Foxboro Furniture.

I also welcome IKEA because the more stores out there the better for the consumer.

By eeka - Dec 17, 2005, 11:42 AM
Post #23 of 256 [In reply to]

OK, "Jordan" is hardly a novel term. It's a country and a region and a river and a biblical concept. I suppose Air Jordans are also infringing on the trademark. And Jordan almonds.

By Sparky - Dec 17, 2005, 11:43 AM
Post #24 of 256 [In reply to]

In Reply To
gee; impish
eliot and barry have been smirking and jabbing for thirty years . and Jordon Marsh was founded in the in 1891, so they did infrindge on the trademark. whether it was there father or grandfather . There latest bit is to take the latest creativity of a top commercial and parody it. but just enough so that they get away with It legaly without being copyright infridgement ,they can surf on all the power of this commercial, or hit show with out any creative work of their own

I find them annoying too......not for their current spots........but because I too remember their commercials on RKO in the 70s. If you recall they pushed water beds back then for what seemed like decades. They really were annoying! So now I just reflex cringe when I hear them speak but have to admit they're really not that annoying now.

By Sparky - Dec 17, 2005, 11:44 AM
Post #25 of 256 [In reply to]

In Reply To
OK, "Jordan" is hardly a novel term. It's a country and a region and a river and a biblical concept. I suppose Air Jordans are also infringing on the trademark. And Jordan almonds.

Spoken like a true Boston outsider.

November 1978 ~ Democrats drinking the Kool-Aid ~ November 2008

"Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem"

"Don't Blame Me, I Voted For Sarah"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All